Looking to identify a Hamilton Bear bracelet

Look here for help to identify your Hamilton Watch

Moderators: Nookster, coronado

InvincibleHam

Looking to identify a Hamilton Bear bracelet

#1 Post by InvincibleHam » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:05 am

Hi everyone,

some time ago, I got a Hamilton bracelet that was manufactured by Bear ... and now I'm looking to find out which watch it originally belonged to. The inscription on the clasp says "Bear Stainless Steel Korea". I'm assuming it is from the '70s.

I have trawled the - once again excellent! - resource page with the bracelets (viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6306), to no avail. I'm either blind or the necessary image has fallen prey to the curse of old image hosts.

Your help is once again appreciated, the long term goal would be to get the bracelet attached to the watch it belongs to.

Here are the pictures - and thanks for your time!
Attachments
Hamilton Bear bracelet 02.jpg
Hamilton Bear bracelet 02.jpg (175.13 KiB) Viewed 97 times
Hamilton Bear bracelet 04.jpg
Hamilton Bear bracelet 04.jpg (178.44 KiB) Viewed 97 times

GreenBayStamps

Re: Looking to identify a Hamilton Bear bracelet

#2 Post by GreenBayStamps » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:58 pm

Hi,
We don not have a lot to support the LCD / QLD Hamilton's here. I believe what you have there is one of two things:

A.) It could be as you look at some of the QLD's they have a narrower end that goes in between the lugs. That could be it?

B.) If it were to go onto a regular watch with normal lugs, you are missing the clips that marry the bracelet in between the normal set of lugs.

I understand and study the bracelets from about 1955 through 1980, I just do not recognize it.

I think it is a digital QLD watch, that is not uncatalogued.

Wish I could help more! Pat

The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are, but in which direction we are moving. – Oliver Wendall Holmes

InvincibleHam

#3 Post by InvincibleHam » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:45 am

Hi Pat,

thanks for your reply! When I looked over the images in the bracelet thread, the ones from the Hamilton LCD/QLD watches looked pretty close... your post prompted me to have another, harder look - difficult when there are only the catalogue images, but maybe I got it now. This one looks pretty close:

Q.E.D. IV (1977) Micron plated

or possibly also this one:

Q.E.D. V (1977) Micron plated, Case No. 992417 or 992476 or stainless steel

The form of the links is a match, and the narrower end piece would attach straight to the case, I think ... Or maybe a piece really is missing, I'm not too sure about this.

Humm, so now I have a decent condition bracelet for a watch that will likely never show up in working condition. Still, an interesting oddity. Maybe someone else has another idea about this?

But still - thanks for pointing me in (what I hope is) the right direction. Part of my attraction to vintage watches (and Hamilton especially) is always the solving of mysteries.

Have a great time, and always a great watch to show you the time ;-)
Thomas

statsman

#4 Post by statsman » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:45 pm

You never know about those. I “repaired” a LED watch once (still works) from the ‘70s by blowing compressed air from a keyboard cleaner on it.

InvincibleHam

#5 Post by InvincibleHam » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:37 am

Minimum effort for maximum effect ... I like it.

Since I'm in Germany, '70s Hamilton LED watches are literally far away for me - and so far, this has been one rabbit hole I wasn't prepared to go down. Still, if the opportunity would present itself... Anyway, us Germans have been preoccupied with "re-unification" for quite some time, so if ever the opportunity comes up to re-unify this bracelet with the correct watch, I'll jump at it.

So, if any of you should chance on a functional watch that fits, let me know. Either I'll be able to provide you with the bracelet, or otherwise I'll take the watch off your hands. I'm fine either way.

Thanks again for your time, folks. It's always a pleasure to sift this forum for knowledge!

Nookster

#6 Post by Nookster » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:50 am

I've seen a few your way on Ebay, just be patient and wait for the right on to show up.
VWF Founder, moderator and Hamilton Watch Enthusiast

Email: mark@vintagehamilton.com

Instagram:" vintagehamiltonwatch

InvincibleHam

#7 Post by InvincibleHam » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:01 am

I will definitely keep an eye open, and put up an alert on eBay for the search terms "Hamilton (LCD, LED, QLD)" - that should prevent it from slipping through the cracks.

If the story finds a happy end I'll update here. Thanks again.