Illuminated Watch Options

Vintage Misc Watch Discussion Forum

Moderator: Nookster

afire

Illuminated Watch Options

#1 Post by afire » Fri May 06, 2022 8:41 am

My dad asked me for help in picking out a new watch. He would like it to be gold (tone) with a black dial and illuminated. What are the current options for illumination? I don't really care for light-charge lume. It's fine on my vintage watches for appearance, but for actual illumination, I don't think he'd want something that would fade so quickly. In looking around, I was surprised to see that tritium appears to be an option. I knew about the use of tritium tubes, but it appears that there are watches with tritium painted figures and hands, old school style. Are there also watches with continuous low-level electrical illumination?
Real men wear small watches.

RollingBall

Re: Illuminated Watch Options

#2 Post by RollingBall » Mon May 09, 2022 12:21 am

I don't know any watches with low level "continuous" electric illumination, But I know that Timex makes watches with "on-demand" electric illumination called Indiglo. The Timex illuminates the watch dial rather than the hands and indices. That means no black dial, it has to be light colored so that the illumination can come through. Here is an example...

https://www.timex.com/easy-reader-35mm- ... lo#start=1

Of course, if your father doesn't mind pushing a button for the time, Bulova makes a gold toned version of their '70s Computron watch which meets all three requirements (gold, black dial, illuminated (red LED)). Here's a link...

https://www.bulova.com/us/en/product/97C110.html

afire

Re: Illuminated Watch Options

#3 Post by afire » Tue May 10, 2022 7:50 am

Thanks for your response.
RollingBall wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 12:21 am
I don't know any watches with low level "continuous" electric illumination...
I was thinking maybe there was such a thing as a battery powered watch that sort of mimicked a radium dial, with the figures continuously glowing, but a) that wouldn't work on the hands, and b) that would probably be too much of a drain on the battery to be feasible.
Real men wear small watches.