Information on Paul Portinoux Chronographs

Vintage Misc Watch Discussion Forum

Moderator: Nookster

catangen

Information on Paul Portinoux Chronographs

#1 Post by catangen » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:42 pm

I have recently purchased a Paul Portinoux 2 register chronograph. I believe it to be very late 40's or more likely early 50's. It has wakmann signed Venus 118 movement which I understand is what eventually became the ValJoux 7733. I have also read that Paul Portinoux was a joint venture by 4 watchmakers all named Paul; Paul Buhre, Garnier, Maillardet & Picot. This is about the end the information i have been able to find online. In doing a search on ebay, examples of watches from all four of the Paul names can be found, as well as a couple with the Portinoux name. "Asking" prices are all over the map. some at or around $100 with many in the $1000-$2000 range with one as high as $7000+. I am curious as to the value of this watch. what is driving the prices of these watches. i understand that asking prices are just that, asking prices, but something has to be driving the thought behind someone thinking their watch is worth $7k.

The dial is signed Paul Portinoux, but that is the only thing that is signed PP. The case is signed Wakmann as well as the movement. The movement does bare the 188 caliber mark. The watch is running fast. Way fast. about 2hrs and 12min a day fast. It did have a magnetization issue which i was able to remedy but it made no difference. My next thought is maybe a sticky hairspring but that is something for the watchmaker to do during a good complete service. The chrono works as it should, with start/stop working well and the rest is back to zero for both the seconds and minute hands. The dial is in real good shape with some wear in a few spots around the edge.

What is this thing realistically valued at? Did i get a bargain, is it worth even having serviced and regulated (i say yes)? Is there anything else you can offer me about the Paul Portinoux brand? Its an interesting watch that i hope is worth $7k, lol

inatime

Re: Information on Paul Portinoux Chronographs

#2 Post by inatime » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:38 am

It would be great to see pictures of the watch.

Seems that $7k is much more than a stretch. From what I see these were primarily cased in stainless steel so unless yours has a significant amount of gold that might drive some of the price up, these are not selling anywhere near $7k. I have a couple of chronographs that look very similar and use the 188 movement and they range in price from $500-$850 depending on condition. One Wittnauer chronograph of mine with the 188 I've seen someone else ASKING $3K and it really hasn't sold recently for anything over $750.

I could be off base but the the common Venus 188 movement was used and cased by lots of different watch brands.
Patrick

On FB & IG @inatimewatches

catangen

Re: Information on Paul Portinoux Chronographs

#3 Post by catangen » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:28 pm

Took a while to figure out how to post photos but here is the watch.