Can anybody ID this Swiss movement?

Vintage European Watch Discussion Forum

Moderator: Nookster

afire

Can anybody ID this Swiss movement?

#1 Post by afire » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:10 am

I was thinking it might be a Gruen caliber, but most likely it is not. Does it ring a bell with anybody?
Real men wear small watches.

SFC

Re: Can anybody ID this Swiss movement?

#2 Post by SFC » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:21 pm

Its definitely a swiss ebauche. If I were to guess I would say peseux caliber but don't quote me. Why do you ask?

afire

#3 Post by afire » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:10 am

It showed up on eBay in a nice heavy two-tone 14k case that looked very much like some of Gruen's imported Swiss cases, and was made by a supplier that Gruen rarely, but occasionally, is documented to have used - Ducommun. And the movement has the general looks of your typical middle grade Gruen from the period, but I couldn't find a match.

Basically, I was trying to piece together enough DNA to convince myself that this was, in fact, a Gruen watch retailed by Macy's. But I'm afraid the resemblance is just coincidental. I'm sure some Hamilton guys saw it. It has a Hamilton printed dial for some reason, but obviously nothing about it is a Hamilton product.

SFC

#4 Post by SFC » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:27 pm

OK interesting.. it can be challenging at times to ID manual wind movements as bridge designs can vary within the same base ebauche. I think I have seen the movement before or at least quite a few movements that are similar. Out of curiosity I will look through my boneyard and see if I can find a match.

afire

#5 Post by afire » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:59 am

Also, the "R.H. Macy" stamp confused me. I kept thinking to myself, "shouldn't it be W.H. Macy?" Nope, Rowland Hussey Macy was the founder. Upon further reflection, I was thinking of someone else...

pETE201

#6 Post by pETE201 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:44 pm

The layout looks similar to a Venus 60, of which there is also an Alpina version. Could it possibly be an Alpina Gruen Guild watch? Just speculating based on nothing much....

afire

#7 Post by afire » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:29 am

It does look pretty close to a Venus 60. But if this is a Gruen product, I think it would likely predate the Alpina partnership, and the Alpina relationship was mostly about getting Gruen products into the European market, so it would be unlikely for Alpina to be involved in an arrangement with a US retailer.