You gotta love buyers.

Place for watch and non-watch related topics

Moderator: Nookster

Nookster

You gotta love buyers.

#1 Post by Nookster » Fri May 06, 2022 7:54 am

This happened yesterday and today. Pretty darn funny.

BUYER: I have a deco Hamilton in a solid gold case that was a family piece. It isn’t running but the staff is good. Dial is nice. I can send photos in and out if needed. I think the only watch you have that I’d be interested in is the chronograph, but it’s priced about double the highest sale I’ve seen. If you think we could possibly work something out, let me know. Watch is likely a 987a. I had it

ME: Send a pic. Which chrono you asking about. The one with the nos case? Panda dialed one?

BUYER: https://www.grayandsons.com/w525411-ham ... 002-3.html Same ref and comparable cond, right? This case looks pretty sharp to me.

(He sent me a picture of a 14K Cushion Form and WWII Military Watch)

ME: Let me know what you are thinking as far as price and trade.

BUYER: Are you interested in the wwii watches?

ME: Sure. The cushion and military watch.

BUYER: How about my two for your one cal 11?

ME: Pass

BUYER: What did you have in mind?

ME: I will pass, thanks for asking

BUYER: Right. You wanted mine for half their worth against yours priced at 40 percent over value. Ha. So when it was clear I wasn’t donating them…. Dealers are the same be it watches or used cars. Low lifes. Your inventory combined wouldn’t pay my quarterly property tax.

ME: I never offered you a price for your watches. I only asked what you were thinking. It didn't make sense to me so I passed. That simple and nothing personal which you have made it.

Glad you have done well in life.

Be well.
VWF Founder, moderator and Hamilton Watch Enthusiast

Email: mark@vintagehamilton.com

Instagram:" vintagehamiltonwatch

GreenBayStamps

Re: You gotta love buyers.

#2 Post by GreenBayStamps » Fri May 06, 2022 12:40 pm

Some people are just angry! Life is much more pleasant to just roll along. Sometimes people help you, sometimes you help people! It can really work people! :) Try it, it really is a pleasant road to be on!

The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are, but in which direction we are moving. – Oliver Wendall Holmes

RollingBall

#3 Post by RollingBall » Mon May 09, 2022 12:29 am

Some people are really uninhibited online.

I can't imagine somebody behaving like that in a brick-and-mortar store.

afire

#4 Post by afire » Mon May 09, 2022 7:30 am

Here's what I love about this exchange. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that your panda chronograph is, in fact, priced at double the going rate (not suggesting it is, as I know zero about chronographs). Then by his logic, it should be valued at around $2150. His offer is a straight trade for a 14k cushion and WWII military watch. On a good day, I'd say that's about $1,000 worth of watches. In other words, he accuses you over overvaluing your watch by 100%, proceeds to do literally the exact same thing, then gets miffed when you don't bite. Hilarious.
Real men wear small watches.

Nookster

#5 Post by Nookster » Mon May 09, 2022 8:30 am

Agree, I never gave a price for his watches as I knew we were just too far off. I took the high road and stopped there.
VWF Founder, moderator and Hamilton Watch Enthusiast

Email: mark@vintagehamilton.com

Instagram:" vintagehamiltonwatch