Flea Market Adventure

Place for watch and non-watch related topics
JerseyMo

Flea Market Adventure

#1 Post by JerseyMo » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:23 am

The Mrs and I took an early morning trip up to Conn. today to have a look around the Elephants Trunk flea market. Having seen it many times on the TV series "Flea Market Flip", we have been curious to go check it out.
Overall impression is there is certainly potential to find many unique items. One such item we choose to purchase was a garden decoration imported from France.

But, you know that is not really why I went up there! watches, watches, watches was what I was looking for. I looked high and low and mostly found the typical box of crappy used quartz watches being sold for way too much.
Than I spot a tent see a nice grouping of Hamilton, Longines, Omega, Bulova, Waltham and even one Illinois.

Asking prices were full retail and all were in need of service and cleaning up. So no watches but I did find "A hard day's night" 12 inch LP for 2 bucks!

Maybe next time....
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

retroworx

Re: Flea Market Adventure

#2 Post by retroworx » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:04 am

Mo, I love going to fleas and I often wonder: Where the heck are the watches?? Where do old watches go to die?
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

JerseyMo

#3 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:01 am

retroworx wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:04 am
Mo, I love going to fleas and I often wonder: Where the heck are the watches?? Where do old watches go to die?
yeah it is not easy to find deals on old watches at flea markets. Many vendors at the Meadowlands Fair in East Rutherford have regular buyers that
snap up the good deals before opening hours. I'm sure that is typical of many flea markets.

The fun is in the hunt anyway and if it were easy, everyone would be doing it!
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

inatime

#4 Post by inatime » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:29 pm

Yup, nuggets are still out there. Recent Hamilton pocket watch and 40-50s Gruen find for me last weekend at one while another flea market all I found was a BIG box full of Speidel bracelets.
Patrick

salleh

#5 Post by salleh » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:33 am

I have been selling at the Alameda Antique Fair for about 10 years now, and as I can't leave the booth I cannot brag of any great finds .....that being said, I do have a couple of good watch friends that even now always stop by ....One of them seems to come up with from 1 to 3 watches every time .....and he has a large collection so the ones he comes up with are pretty spectacular ....( he's not easily charmed by any sort of ordinary watch ...) ....I think he gets the finds he does because he doesn't check out the guys who sell watches ......he finds them in the old jewelry case of mostly jewelry ....and pays ridculously low prices for them .....

So 1) if you're in the bay area, check out that market ( first Sunday of the month ) on the old Naval base, on a runway !

adn 2) look in jewelry cases .....
What a long strange trip it's been......