All in the family: platinum Quadron

Vintage Gruen Watch Discussion Forum
coronado

All in the family: platinum Quadron

#1 Post by coronado » Fri May 11, 2018 4:34 pm

I think I'm the third member here on the forum to own this watch, maybe the fourth. Either way, it's mine now...for the time being. I don't think photos of it have been posted here before.

Quadron tank in platinum with grade 117 movement. Case is quite heavy, more than 15 grams of platinum.

IMG_20180511_191317-456x456.jpg
IMG_20180511_191317-456x456.jpg (66.96 KiB) Viewed 843 times

Barney Green

Re: All in the family: platinum Quadron

#2 Post by Barney Green » Sat May 12, 2018 8:02 am

Beautiful!
I love the long tanks, wearing my Imperial Tank every day since I own it. OK, it is not platinum and does not have a Quadron movement but other than that also a very fine watch.
It is a very good habit to give such a good watch from family member to family member. Don't change the habit!

JackW

#3 Post by JackW » Sat May 12, 2018 8:25 pm

Very nice! Any chance to see the inside of the case back if there are maker's marks?
All I know is based on hard work & writing by others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. -me
"If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Newton

coronado

#4 Post by coronado » Sun May 13, 2018 10:53 am

JackW wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:25 pm
Very nice! Any chance to see the inside of the case back if there are maker's marks?

Hard to see, but the platinum goat's head hallmark has the "G" letter code for Geneva, so I believe this is a Weber case. It also has the opening tab along the side of the caseback, which I believe I've seen in some other Weber cases.

QuadPlat2.jpeg
QuadPlat2.jpeg (103.57 KiB) Viewed 736 times
QuadPlat3.jpeg
QuadPlat3.jpeg (124.33 KiB) Viewed 736 times
QuadPlat4.jpg
QuadPlat4.jpg (164.03 KiB) Viewed 736 times

JackW

#5 Post by JackW » Sun May 13, 2018 5:34 pm

Thank you for the additional images. Cannot comment on the veracity of a Weber origin. Afire is the resident expert on them. I'm sure he'll find this of interest.
All I know is based on hard work & writing by others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. -me
"If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Newton

afire

#6 Post by afire » Mon May 14, 2018 1:54 pm

JackW wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:34 pm
Cannot comment on the veracity of a Weber origin. Afire is the resident expert on them.
My expertise, such as it is, is based on my observations of Weber cases over the years, nothing particularly systematic. With respect to Gruen men's cases, there are a few reasons why I would think this is likely not Weber. Pretty much every one that's marked Weber has a 6 digit serial number (I would say for all known Weber cases, although Jack recently showed me a 5-digit non-Gruen case not marked Weber, but has a "key" code that at least one source says is Weber's code, though I remain a little skeptical on that one). Back to Gruen. For earlier ones, that's usually 100XXX then switches to 200XXX around what seems to be approximately 1930. When a unisex, ladies, or a model shared with Alpina enters the picture, the first digit being a "1" or "2" seems to be less rigid and I haven't been able to draw any plausible conclusions from what I've seen. And before the early to mid 1930s, every one that has that type of serial number is marked Weber. Then sometime between 203XXX and 204XXX they cease to be marked Weber. By this time, they are pretty much all Guildite, with the higher-end precious metal cases now being made at the "5th Ave." shop, aka presumably Katz & Ogush. But the continuity of serial numbers coupled with the fact that the earlier Guildite models are still marked Weber suggest strongly to me that these Guildite cases continued to be made by Weber. Which also makes me think that by the time Weber ceased signing the cases they made for Gruen, they had also ceased making them from precious metals, which further makes me believe that there may not be such a thing as an unmarked precious metal Gruen-Weber case, though exceptions always seem to turn up just when you think you've identified a rule.

And there was clearly a second Swiss casemaker that did use 5-digit serial numbers like this. To pluck out a few examples, there's my 1927 Strap 79 with an SN of 17548, a mid-1930s Import 226 with an SN of 20575, Jack's Guildite Curvex, presumably slightly later, but still mid-1930s, with a serial number 21690. And the SN on this platinum Quadron is 16802, and we know the Strap 79 was offered in 1927, I would think this case was made by this second case supplier and likely dates to 1926.

Anyway, those are my disorganized and not thoroughly substantiated thoughts, but I think they make sense.
JackW wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:34 pm
I'm sure he'll find this of interest.
I liked it so much, I bought it!
Well, I bought it 15 years ago. I think I probably had this watch for about 5 years and wore it regularly.
Real men wear small watches.

coronado

#7 Post by coronado » Mon May 14, 2018 4:33 pm

Excellent info, thanks for the clarification!

Maybe one day we will figure out who this mysterious second Swiss case maker was.