Vintage Hamilton Watch Discussion Forum
BigDDD

Re: New Member

#11 Post by BigDDD » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Scranger, your info lines up with my research, except that the newspaper was and is called the Green Bay Press Gazette. He had a son, V.I. Minihan, Jr., who was also involved in the newspaper industry. He was president and CEO of the Appleton Post-Crescent, located about 35 miles south of Green Bay. He died in 2003. Both father and son were very much involved in their communities.

It seems that the Green Bay Federated Trades Council was an early labor organization. Seeing that V.I. Sr. was also an attorney, it's possible that he may have represented them, thus the gift of a presentation watch.

BigDDD

#12 Post by BigDDD » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:02 am

I took this watch to the Antique Roadshow event that was held in Green Bay yesterday. The appraiser valued it at $300-$500. He complimented the watchmaker who worked on it for me. He also said that the hands were not original. Any thoughts?

vintagehamiltons

#13 Post by vintagehamiltons » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:32 pm

He was correct about the hands, but his appraisal was off by a factor of 10. And I mean multiply it by 10.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

mrcardigan

#14 Post by mrcardigan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:10 pm

You say 'the only Hamilton watch I own' and then bring out this beauty! If you are only going to own one, that's not a bad one to have. I will happily give you his top appraisal estimate of $500!!!!!!!!!! 😂 (though may gecslifhtly under-paying lol)

Andy C

afire

#15 Post by afire » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:17 am

BigDDD wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:02 am
I took this watch to the Antique Roadshow event that was held in Green Bay yesterday. The appraiser valued it at $300-$500. He complimented the watchmaker who worked on it for me. He also said that the hands were not original. Any thoughts?
Did he then offer to do you a favor out of the goodness of his heart and take it off your hands for $700, just because he's a nice guy? :lol:

I guess they can't be experts on everything, and probably just threw out an approximate value for a solid gold 1930s Hamilton watch, and for many models $300-$500 probably would be a decent enough guess.

Can somebody help this man with better hands? Obviously, this watch deserves them.
Real men wear small watches.

GreenBayStamps

#16 Post by GreenBayStamps » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:27 am

His brother William Minahan died on the Titanic!!!

HIs brother was one of the few bodies that was recovered. His Crypt can be seen from Riverside Drive in Green Bay, across from Fort Howard paper near the railroad bridge.

The rest of the story... https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/t ... nahan.html

and a little more history... https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=43818

Enjoy the watch!

The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are, but in which direction we are moving. – Oliver Wendall Holmes

BigDDD

#17 Post by BigDDD » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:36 am

Thanks to all who offered their input. When I walked away from that appraisal, I figured that it was not an accurate number. The guy was pretty young, not to say that is the all encompassing reason. However, there is an older guy with salt and pepper hair, who I've seen often on the show. He was there but was working over in the Jewelery line. His name escapes me, but I've seen him do some of the TV spots and he strikes me as someone who really knows what he's talking about, especially with watches. I half thought about getting in that line, but without going into a long winded response, I will just tell you that the people who work behind the scenes of the Antique Roadshow run a tight ship. I personally saw one of the workers read a guy in front of me the riot act for spending too much time wondering around the appraisal area. Due to the number of ticket holders, they must keep people moving. But, overall I enjoyed the event. For me it was a lifetime experience and chances are, I'll never be able to go again. For those who don't know, tickets can only be had through a lottery, with a few others awarded to special organizations. They gave out around 3000 pairs of tickets.

As far as my particular "Erricson", I simply enjoy it for what it is and don't have any plans of selling it. The Antiques Roadshow is just a TV show, but my watch is priceless to me.

GreenBayStamps

#18 Post by GreenBayStamps » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Just a thought about appraisals and valuing a watch or anything. It can become very subjective. I have overpaid for some watches and at other times felt I have "stole" them. As the old saying goes you need two people in bidding to get things interesting. Secondly, it is only worth as much as the next person will pay you.

The watch market is soft at this point, watches have become a mans jewelry, plus, people "tell time" with their phone. With these old time pieces, you become the caretaker until you pass it along. Feel fortunate you have something with a rich history. We all wish some of these time pieces could talk! Enjoy it and wear it with pride, you are the story teller for it.

The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are, but in which direction we are moving. – Oliver Wendall Holmes

BigDDD

#19 Post by BigDDD » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:06 pm

GreenBayStamps, You are correct with everything you said and I fully agree with you.