Incabloc 17 Jewel - Brands

Beginners Vintage Watch Discussion Forum Where You Can Get Expert Help
lanmandan60

Incabloc 17 Jewel - Brands

#1 Post by lanmandan60 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:02 pm

I am looking at purchasing a vintage swiss made 17 jewel watch and came across Incabloc labeling on dials. Also looking around I found there to be a number of brands. Listing just a few, Fludo, Hilton, Avia, Aztec, Montine, Teressa, Rodania, Waltham, Cordura, Roamer, Mondane, Northfield, Eska, Rotaryu, Clayton, Pierport, Lord Cornell, Elrex, Calvert, Summit Geneve, Movado, Felicia, Wakemann, and Pallas. Did all of these watch brands use the same movement or did these brands use their own created movements? I can find no history on google regarding these types of watches. Anyone have a good location for information?

mrcardigan

Re: Incabloc 17 Jewel - Brands

#2 Post by mrcardigan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Huge amounts of knowledge and help on here.

Anyway, incabloc is not a movement make, but a description of the type of balance wheel/setting used (rotating circular pendulum).

Quote from Wikipedia...
The Incabloc shock protection system is the trade name for a spring-loaded mounting system for the jewel bearings that support the balance wheel in a mechanical watch, to protect the wheel's delicate pivots from damage in the event of physical shock, such as if the watch is dropped.

Many makes originally made their own movements, like US company Waltham, but ended up buying in Swiss movements. Most moved across to incabloc balance mounts once they were available.

Hope this helps,
Andy C