Wikipedia of Vintage Watches

Place for watch and non-watch related topics
zhenyulin

Wikipedia of Vintage Watches

#1 Post by zhenyulin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:20 am

Hi guys,

I'm new to vintage watches and found it relatively difficult to find information about details of a lot of particular models. Is there a wikipedia type of website that support search and user input of a holistic catalogue of detail information of different versions of historical versions of the major brands? I would like to find it even if it is not free.

Thanks.

gatorcpa

Re: Wikipedia of Vintage Watches

#2 Post by gatorcpa » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:55 am

You mean like this:

http://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?tit ... tch_Brands

Don't know how complete or accurate this is, but it does match your description.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

JerseyMo

#3 Post by JerseyMo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:14 am

gatorcpa wrote:You mean like this:

Don't know how complete or accurate this is, but it does match your description.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa
Cool site that I did not know was there. But they are missing one maker that is very important to me..... You know the one that takes a ticking....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

Movintage

#4 Post by Movintage » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:04 am

No Elgin :o

diveboy

#5 Post by diveboy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:29 am

Movintage wrote:No Elgin :o
Good, keep it that way.
Disruptive Elgin Collector.... 39.56043956043956
http://www.elgin.watch - Elgin Model Database
instagram @elgindownunder

stryfox

#6 Post by stryfox » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:51 am

diveboy wrote:
Movintage wrote:No Elgin :o
Good, keep it that way.
I think we have the best Elgin group on the internet right here.

zhenyulin

#7 Post by zhenyulin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:55 am

gatorcpa wrote:You mean like this:

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

This is quite interesting, as it is providing information in a catalog way.

But still I do find the scarcity of information again, as I can't find any information regarding Rolex Precision models here, not mention the specs to validate the genuineness of particular ref model. Is there a place to find more holistic and detailed information?

gatorcpa

#8 Post by gatorcpa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:42 pm

zhenyulin wrote:But still I do find the scarcity of information again, as I can't find any information regarding Rolex Precision models here, not mention the specs to validate the genuineness of particular ref model. Is there a place to find more holistic and detailed information?
"Precision" was kind of a catch-all phrase used by Rolex for watches with non-chronometer rated movements. Some were automatic, some manual wind. Some had Oyster cases, some were not waterproof. Some had Swiss made cases, some had locally made cases with Rolex movements.

I don't know of any website that details all of the different Rolex models. There is a pretty good forum dedicated to vintage Rolex watches in general:

http://www.vintagerolexforum.com/

There are very knowledgeable people there. However, since these models are not as collectible as other (particularly the GMT and Submariner) Rolex time-only models, there isn't that much information on the Precision line.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

HamiltonIllinois

#9 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:11 am

No Illinois either.
Rick
scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire

zhenyulin

#10 Post by zhenyulin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:02 am

gatorcpa wrote:
zhenyulin wrote:But still I do find the scarcity of information again, as I can't find any information regarding Rolex Precision models here, not mention the specs to validate the genuineness of particular ref model. Is there a place to find more holistic and detailed information?
"Precision" was kind of a catch-all phrase used by Rolex for watches with non-chronometer rated movements. Some were automatic, some manual wind. Some had Oyster cases, some were not waterproof. Some had Swiss made cases, some had locally made cases with Rolex movements.

I don't know of any website that details all of the different Rolex models. There is a pretty good forum dedicated to vintage Rolex watches in general:

http://www.vintagerolexforum.com/

There are very knowledgeable people there. However, since these models are not as collectible as other (particularly the GMT and Submariner) Rolex time-only models, there isn't that much information on the Precision line.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa
This looks very interesting. Thank you so much.

Was wondering if you guys will be interested in using a Quora and Wikipedia like website for searching and sharing knowledge about watches, following those knowledgable people on the platform etc. If there's a website built like this, from 0-10, on which rate do you think you will be liking it?