Vintage Collector’s Site for Discussion
Home
Hamilton Watches for Sale
It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: rolex Silver Prince
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:17 pm 

Hi all.

I'm a fairly new collector, now with an Illinois and 3 Hamiltons. However, my wife has the jewel in our Crown, identified by antiques roadshow UK earlier this year as a 1932 Silver Prince. (not jealous of her, I promise). It has been sat unknown in the back of our wardrobe for over 20 years, but has kick-started my interest in vintage watches.

Attachment:
Screenshot_20160804-222813.png
Screenshot_20160804-222813.png [ 2.05 MiB | Viewed 155 times ]

Attachment:
Screenshot_20160804-222843.png
Screenshot_20160804-222843.png [ 1.56 MiB | Viewed 155 times ]

We (she) will never sell it, as it was a gift from her late grandfather. However, we would love to have it restored, and as newbies would appreciate any advice from you experts.

It needs the dial cleaning (want to keep original dial at all costs), case cleaning/polishing, movement servicing, crystal replacing, second hand fixing and anything else needed.

How much would you expect to end up paying for such work? Can anyone recommend a good watchmaker in the UK who could take this on. Not bothered about end value, as I said it's a keeper.

Many thanks,

Andy

Post subject: Re: rolex Silver Prince
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:36 pm 

Great family time piece. It will help the members to know where you are located. So that may offer recommendation for watch shops.

If you are located in the the UK. I would suggest you contact Greg Ward at Woodland Tech. He is located in Lincolnshire. He has done several full
restores for me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:23 pm 

Apologies.. Yes I'm in the UK as you suspected, in Gloucestershire (Cotswolds).

I will look great up, thanks for the lead.

Andy C

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:50 pm 

I wouldn't hesitate to refinish that dial. Unless I miss my guess, the print is inlaid vitreous enamel. It will remain while only the clear protective lacquer is replaced. I think perhaps the logo itself will need to be reprinted. Cleaning a dial like this is (IMO) not very different from refinishing. I've cleaned this type of dial myself and what you end up with is either a compromised clear coat that will result in more tarnishing after a while, or you spray clear protective lacquer yourself. You may as well have it professionally done. Others may disagree, but I think the collecting community doesn't shun refinishing this particular type of inlaid enamel dial. For other brands and other types, it's a completely different story.