Recommend an ultrasonic cleaning machine

Workshops, techniques, manuals, DIY
coronado

Re: Recommend an ultrasonic cleaning machine

#11 Post by coronado » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:36 am

After spending an hour in the 102-degree in my garage tinkering with the machine, I can make it moderately functional again. I just need the circular ring with spring clips and 3 tabs that attaches to the drive shaft below the ultrasonic unit, and to which the basket attaches (example of an intact one pictured below).

Anybody have one, please let me know.

SFC

#12 Post by SFC » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:26 pm

Is this the piece you need?

coronado

#13 Post by coronado » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:05 pm

I think so. I presume all the L&R baskets are the same size, but I'm not sure. Can you measure the outside diameter of the ring? And also, does the ring on yours separate from the drive shaft? Thanks.

SFC

#14 Post by SFC » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:30 pm

From my L&R machines...they are all different. It looks like changes were made over the years. All take the same baskets. One of the two that detach I could spare but the other is from complete and functional machine. let me know if what you need matches

mrtoad

#15 Post by mrtoad » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:22 pm

I usually use an old L&R eggbeater cleaner I bought on eBay for $75. I rewired it myself. It wouldn't pass any modern electrical safety test, what with exposed wiring underneath, but at least I converted it to 3-wire, with the machine grounded, and I understand what I'm working with.

I sometimes use a small ultrasonic for tiny movements, but the old watchmaker who taught me cleaning told me that ultrasonics may take off the thin gold on things like checkerboard damaskeening on pocket watches. So I bought the eggbeater and have continued to use it for wristwatches.

SFC

#16 Post by SFC » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:27 pm

Jim, you raise a good point and one to think about when considering a machine. I have heard from multiple people that non ultrasonic is better for vintage watches. I think "vintage" is a fairly broad term now and whether or not you need ultrasonic depends on what types of watches you spend the most time working on. Anything that looks to have a delicate finish I would certainly not cook in the ultrasonic. I have had a few bad experiences with ultrasonic cleaners. Nothing major.. just a few nickel pocket watch movements that came out with staining that I couldn't remove.

veritas123

#17 Post by veritas123 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:02 pm

I use a Watchmaster ultrasonic and have for over 30 years. It does everything I could want it to. Wash, rinse and dry.

They come up on Ebay every so often.
watchmaster.jpg
watchmaster.jpg (228.45 KiB) Viewed 858 times

Captain Crandall

#18 Post by Captain Crandall » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:05 pm

GreenBayStamps wrote:We need to restate that! I'm cleaning cases, dials, hands, sometimes I will rebuild a stem assembly. It can be said I do very well with bracelets, however I have many piles to demonstrate my inadequate abilities.
retroworx wrote:
GreenBayStamps wrote:Dan help, pipe in here?
No need for help. :lol: I have the same machine, just didn't know you were working on your own movements now: Cool!
You clean dials and hands in a ultrasound machine ?
For Accutron 214 Info, Facts, video and much more visit my good friends at
http://accutronfacts.freeforums.net/
A Troll Free Zone !