Can This one be Saved?

Workshops, techniques, manuals, DIY
ben_hutcherson

Can This one be Saved?

#1 Post by ben_hutcherson » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:23 pm

I won this Ebay auction yesterday afternoon, and thanks to the seller's fast shipping and close location, it was delivered today.

The listing described the watch as having "some rust." I guess that's open to interpretation, but it didn't really look that bad from the pictures and I won it for what I thought was a great price.

I think it's been through a flood, as there's some brown crud floating around in it apart from the rust.

I think it's probably worth the effort, but it will take me a while to get it done to my standards.

What do you all think?

441victor

Re: Can This one be Saved?

#2 Post by 441victor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Wow, quite a challenge. Ought to keep you out of trouble for a while. Best of luck. Joel

trim

#3 Post by trim » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:12 pm

You are in for some pain.

The Omega 321 I am doing was very rusty - and boy did it get everywhere. Removing a couple of the screws took me weeks. No joke...

...and from the face of it, the Omega doesn't look as rusty, but even the barrel arbor was too rusty to save. It got on everything.

salleh

#4 Post by salleh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:42 pm

my first thought was ......is it a special watch that you really want to add to your personal collection ? ....or if you plan to flip it, will it fetch enough to make it worth your while ? ....

and the most important question is ....how much patience do I have !?!
What a long strange trip it's been......

ben_hutcherson

#5 Post by ben_hutcherson » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:24 pm

salleh wrote:my first thought was ......is it a special watch that you really want to add to your personal collection ? ....or if you plan to flip it, will it fetch enough to make it worth your while ? ....

and the most important question is ....how much patience do I have !?!
Salleh,

Good questions.

I actually bought it thinking that I could flip it. There's another watch that was included in the lot that is definitely trade bait and I can probably get $100+ for it on Ebay. That would bring my investment in this particular watch down to $300, and once cleaned up, I'd probably get $450-500 for it.

It's a good, high grade watch and I don't have another 23 jewel Sangamo Special(although I have a really nice 21j true bridge). I have no doubt I can make it run, as it was very nearly running when I received it. I also have my serious doubts, however, as to whether or not I can make it keep good time.

So, I'm still debating quite a bit on this one.

GeneJockey

#6 Post by GeneJockey » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:18 pm

I gotta tell you, I look at that gold center wheel glinting there, and it reminds me of an article in Road & Track a few years back.

The writer was interested in buying a vintage Morgan (really old fashioned British sports car. Somebody had one for sale for $4000 near him, so he went to check it out. It had a LOT of problems, like dry rot in the WOODEN FRAME, but the owner would say, 'Yep, but you can buy a new frame from these guys'. The rocker panels were rusted out. 'Yep, but you can buy new rocker panels from these other guys.'

Eventually, the owner said, "What do you think?", and the writer said, "Well, the only thing about it that doesn't need seriously fixed or replaced is the steering wheel. It's a really nice steering wheel, but it's not a $4000 steering wheel"

This is not to say I doubt it can be restored. I just looks REALLY far gone! Which is a crying shame!
http://gjselgins.blogspot.com/

Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent. - Pogo

watchservice

#7 Post by watchservice » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:25 pm

This piece is gonna take a long time to be work again. And I am sure that most of the experienced watch service professionals would like to do it for you, hence, choose the repute one for your watch.

441victor

#8 Post by 441victor » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:31 pm

Any progress Ben? Joel

ben_hutcherson

#9 Post by ben_hutcherson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:09 pm

Joel,

After much debate, I actually ended up returning this one to the seller. He had seriously under described how bad it was, and I felt justified in returning it. Thus, it's not my problem anymore.

shijianshui

#10 Post by shijianshui » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:08 am

Amazing stuff,Thanks so much for this!This is very useful post for me. This will absolutely going to help me in my projects .