2,500 grit 3M wet/dry sandpaper....for the askig .....

Workshops, techniques, manuals, DIY
salleh

2,500 grit 3M wet/dry sandpaper....for the askig .....

#1 Post by salleh » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi all......My roommate Mike just picked up a "lot" at the local auction, and there's a bunch of super extra fine sandpaper .....he says.....ask your friends at the forum if anyone wants a sheet or 2 or 3 and you can have some to send them .....

so, If anyone would like some of this top quality sandpaper, just PM me with your address and I'll pop some in the mail for you .....I'll fold it to fit in a business envelope.....but iz free !....

Just a little way of saying thanks for all your help...
What a long strange trip it's been......

salleh

Re: 2,500 grit 3M wet/dry sandpaper....for the askig .....

#2 Post by salleh » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:39 am

Oh and the offer is open to any one on the forum .....

watchcrystalstore

#3 Post by watchcrystalstore » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:14 pm

salleh wrote:Oh and the offer is open to any one on the forum .....

Salleh

I recieved the package yesterday.
Thank You Very Much!!!

Maria

Polock

#4 Post by Polock » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:51 pm

Salleh--Thank you for the abrasive paper. Now I just need to find a few of the great buys you come up with so I can try it!
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse". Brendan Behan, Irish poet.

salleh

#5 Post by salleh » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Yer entirely welcom .....now if someone would just tell me how to use the stuff.......I pretty much ruint one of the hammy crystals ....is alllllllll blurry .....whar'd I go wrong !??????

C. Hurt

#6 Post by C. Hurt » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:56 pm

Sal,

You may be able to revive your crystal (assuming it's plastic) by gently polishing it with a much finer abrasive. Poly-Watch is the one that is most often recommended, and it does a good job. You can also try Brasso, Simichrome, Flitz, or any of the other similar metal polishes. I've heard, but have not tried, that good old toothpaste will work as well.

Your abrasive paper should be useful for removing deep scratches, but it's just not fine enough to restore a fine, clear polish.

If it's a glass crystal, the Cerium Oxide that I mentioned earlier may be the only way to save it.

441victor

#7 Post by 441victor » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi Sally, thanks for the sandpaper. I generally take out the crystal to keep from accidentally sanding the bezel. I put the paper flat on a folded up paper towel on my bench. Just to give it a little padding and make it easier to not create flat spots. Then I rub the crystal around trying to blend the area I'm sanding into the rest of the dials profile. I sand just enough to take out most of the scratch. Enough to make it less obvious but not necessarily perfect. The hazyness should look pretty uniform when held up to a light. I don't do the whole surface as the edges will not be that noticable. Then I go at the dial with a cloth wheel in a Dremel and some red compound. A cloth with compound will work but is too slow for me. Your Poly-Watch and lots of rubbing should work in place of the compound. Try putting the cloth flat and moving the crystal. On older acetate crystals the Dremel/red combo are very aggressive and I have gouged crystals when not paying attention. Joel