Getting Scratches Out of Glass Crystals......

Workshops, techniques, manuals, DIY
salleh

Getting Scratches Out of Glass Crystals......

#1 Post by salleh » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:44 pm

well, I have learned to use the Novus with a pretty fair amount of success.....just have to have the patience to keep at it till the scratches are gone .....

....However, it seems that lately I have been acquiring quite a lot of watches with glass crystals .....and have read that it is possible to polish scratches out ....and that is isn't possible to polish scratches out .....

...I do know that many long years ago I got my hands on this way cool old flashlight, and it had a lens a deeply curved and thick lens rather than just a flat piece of glass or plastic like most FLs .....some yahoo had painted it black, ( thed flashlight that is) and I spent 3 days getting that off the fabulous brass body of the light, ( using my patented method of taking whatever is on the piece off and getting it all over my hands....works a charm every time !) but I was still stuck with that wonderful lens being deeply scratched .....so I had a bar of red rouge, and every now and then I'd wet a piece of flannel I had, rub it on the bar then using a lot of elbow grease, work on those scratches .....evnetually I got almost all of the lighter scratches out, and made the deeper ones a lot less noticible .....

....So I aqm inclined to believe that some of the scratches can be polished out of glass crystals......what I would like to know is .....has anyone here ever done it ? ,,....and did you use a bench grinder with a muslin wheel to do it ?? and what polishing compound did you use .????

......I am tempted to rush out and buy myself a bench grinder and get on it .....unless I hear that cahnaces are great that I would just be at the start of ruining every glass crystal I meet .!!
What a long strange trip it's been......

C. Hurt

Re: Getting Scratches Out of Glass Crystals......

#2 Post by C. Hurt » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:25 pm

Sal,

Check out Cerium Oxide. It's the standard polish for glass. The process is pretty much as you described, but it's much finer than the rouge so requires a lot of rubbing. I have known some folks who take a large (1/2" or more) soft wood dowel, sand one end smooth, dip it in oil and then in the CO powder, then chuck it in a drill and use that (on very low speed) to do the polishing.

There are also lapidary abrasive papers available from jewelry supply houses that are almost as fine, and easier to handle.

Bear in mind that it may well be impossible to remove deep scratches without messing up the profile of the crystal.

Cary

salleh

Re: Getting Scratches Out of Glass Crystals......

#3 Post by salleh » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:45 pm

Would 2,500 grit wet/dry sandpaper work ??? just happen to have a lifetime supply of that right now !!!
What a long strange trip it's been......