The Tyranny Of Data

Workshops, techniques, manuals, DIY
441victor

Re: The Tyranny Of Data

#11 Post by 441victor » Mon May 14, 2012 1:39 pm

I've had good luck holding the balance in a pin vice that has a collet the right size to grip the roller table. With that in one hand and my .6mm screwdriver in the other it's easy to control exactly how the blade enters the slot in the hairspring collet and how much it turns. Especially under high magnification. I bought a cheap Harbor Freight hobby knife set with uses plastic collets to hold the blades. They give a good grip without the chance of marking up a staff. I had to drill a couple of them to fit the right diameters. Joel

ben_hutcherson

#12 Post by ben_hutcherson » Tue May 15, 2012 6:22 am

A bench block is one of those tools that you'll wonder how you ever did without once you have it. I use mine often enough that it stays out on my bench and within reach all the time.

I recommend the K&D branded ones. One really nice feature of these is that the largest hole in the block will hold a stump from a K&D staking set.

A balance tack is also a good for making a quick beat adjustment, although it's a bit nerve-wracking the first time you do it this way.

For a collect tool-I have switched over to using an old "blue" oiler that I've ground down to a sharp point.

Doug, you should also probably be aware that on the freesprung Elgin movements like you like, the collet is cemented in place and the beat not really intended to be adjusted. You are likely to really mess one up if you try to manipulate one of these :)

indyago

#13 Post by indyago » Tue May 15, 2012 10:52 am

Ben, do you have a picture of your 'bench block'?
Rob

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

441victor

#14 Post by 441victor » Tue May 15, 2012 12:48 pm

The only problem I have with a bench block is there is only one position you can put the balance in, flat. With it in hand I can control the viewing angle and the relationship of the collet to the tip of the adjusting tool. Joel

ben_hutcherson

#15 Post by ben_hutcherson » Tue May 15, 2012 6:09 pm

indyago wrote:Ben, do you have a picture of your 'bench block'?
Ask and ye shall receive!

Shown with a balance and a staking set stump
Attachments
IMG_2564ed.jpg
IMG_2564ed.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 2182 times

indyago

#16 Post by indyago » Wed May 16, 2012 7:56 am

Thanks, it helps me to put the "right" image with the tool in my mind. :lol:
Rob

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

GeneJockey

#17 Post by GeneJockey » Wed May 16, 2012 8:37 am

Ordered one from Dave's. Don't know if it's a K&D, but it looks like it. Also some Rodico, to see if it really is the wunderstuff everyone says it is. Also a hammer, to go with my staking set.

Did I mention I now have a staking set?

Cary offered a trade I couldn't refuse, so now I have a K&D Inverto set! I've been playing with it a bit. I already used it to close the hole on a minute hand, and of course it's come in handy for installing hour and minute hands.

I got some 13/0 staffs to play with, since I have so many 13/0 balances with bad staffs (6 of them!). I can see why they are such a basic tool for watchmakers.
http://gjselgins.blogspot.com/

Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent. - Pogo

ben_hutcherson

#18 Post by ben_hutcherson » Wed May 16, 2012 11:16 am

You can't go wrong with a K&D staking set! Although I now prefer my Levin, I cut my teeth on the K&D and I still think it's a great tool.

GeneJockey

#19 Post by GeneJockey » Fri May 18, 2012 10:18 am

I know this will cause eyerolling and headshaking in some quarters, but I'm going to have to start out with knocking the staffs out. Yes, I know it's not 'Best Practices', but a man's got to start somewhere! And lathes are so frakkin' expensive! Not to mention complex.

I'm looking for a K&D #50 staff remover. I thought I'd gotten one last week, but I discovered that there's more to it than the clamp. There's a special punch for it, and none of the regular K&D punches will fit down far enough to reach the staff.
http://gjselgins.blogspot.com/

Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent. - Pogo

HandyDan

#20 Post by HandyDan » Wed May 23, 2012 4:47 am

I'd LOVE to see some photos (step-by-step) for replacing staffs, fine adjustments, etc.

Even straightening bent pivots would be helpful. I have a 100% failure rate at straightening pivots. I suspect brute force is not a requirement but these things are so small that it's super easy to totally screw it up.
-----------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" - Red Green

http://hamiltonchronicles.com