The Tyranny Of Data

Workshops, techniques, manuals, DIY
ben_hutcherson

Re: The Tyranny Of Data

#21 Post by ben_hutcherson » Sun May 27, 2012 6:08 pm

HandyDan wrote:I'd LOVE to see some photos (step-by-step) for replacing staffs, fine adjustments, etc.

Even straightening bent pivots would be helpful. I have a 100% failure rate at straightening pivots. I suspect brute force is not a requirement but these things are so small that it's super easy to totally screw it up.
Dan,

The best tool I've used for pivot straightening is nifty little piece made by Seitz.

Basically, it's just a round plate with a bunch of jewels set into it in incrementally smaller sizes. Essentially, what you do is put the pivot in the smallest jewel into which it will fit. You then use a pegwood to gently press on the "high" side of the wheel until the wheel sits level in the jewel. You then move onto the next smaller jewel, and repeat this until the pivot is straight along its entire length.

My success rate with this tool is about 50%-not great, but definitely better than tweezers and some of the other methods.

I should also add that I will typically burnish the pivot lightly with a sapphire burnisher after straightening , although this may not be strictly necessary.

trim

#22 Post by trim » Sun May 27, 2012 10:24 pm

I have so far had quite a lot of success with that seitz tool - using my blower to rotate the balance starting from a larger than normal hole. Odd, I know - but it certainly seems to work. Of course this is for smaller 0s and smaller movements, I don't know how it would work on the PW you favour.

GeneJockey

#23 Post by GeneJockey » Tue May 29, 2012 10:55 am

HandyDan wrote:I'd LOVE to see some photos (step-by-step) for replacing staffs, fine adjustments, etc.
With any luck, later this week I should receive a complete K&D staff remover that will fit my staking set. AND I've got a number of intended victims - er, um, I mean balances that need new staffs.

I'll be proceeding slowly and carefully, and when I hit the truing and poising state, I can only hope there's not much that needs doing or the project will stall out!

BTW, as you probably are aware, serious watchmakers frown on the use of staff removers, insisting instead on the superiority of cutting out the hub with a lathe. I'm sure they're right, but I don't HAVE a lathe, nor do I have a spare $600 to obtain one, nor a grinder to sharpen gravers. Hell, I don't even have a poising tool yet!
http://gjselgins.blogspot.com/

Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent. - Pogo

trim

#24 Post by trim » Tue May 29, 2012 1:09 pm

GeneJockey wrote: I'll be proceeding slowly and carefully, and when I hit the truing and poising state, I can only hope there's not much that needs doing or the project will stall out!
Please buy a poising tool if you are going to be replacing staffs. They are not expensive.

Tom and Larry both have nice ruby/agate ones from $39. Cheap!

GeneJockey

#25 Post by GeneJockey » Tue May 29, 2012 3:32 pm

trim wrote:
GeneJockey wrote: I'll be proceeding slowly and carefully, and when I hit the truing and poising state, I can only hope there's not much that needs doing or the project will stall out!
Please buy a poising tool if you are going to be replacing staffs. They are not expensive.

What, you mean the pivot-cone end of my truing caliper isn't good enough? :lol:

Don't worry, it's on my list.

441victor

#26 Post by 441victor » Tue May 29, 2012 5:45 pm

I thought that's what all my junk pillar plates and balance cocks left over from parts movements were for. Joel

HandyDan

#27 Post by HandyDan » Wed May 30, 2012 5:03 am

trim wrote:

Thanks for all the tips guys... where does one locate this Seitz tool?

Also, who's Tom and Larry?
-----------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" - Red Green

http://hamiltonchronicles.com

HandyDan

#28 Post by HandyDan » Wed May 30, 2012 5:05 am

GeneJockey wrote:
With any luck, later this week I should receive a complete K&D staff remover that will fit my staking set. AND I've got a number of intended victims - er, um, I mean balances that need new staffs.

I'll be proceeding slowly and carefully, and when I hit the truing and poising state, I can only hope there's not much that needs doing or the project will stall out!

BTW, as you probably are aware, serious watchmakers frown on the use of staff removers, insisting instead on the superiority of cutting out the hub with a lathe. I'm sure they're right, but I don't HAVE a lathe, nor do I have a spare $600 to obtain one, nor a grinder to sharpen gravers. Hell, I don't even have a poising tool yet!
Seeing your step by step process would be awesome. I'm not sure I'm ready to delve into that area yet but maybe if I saw what was involved I would be less intimidated.
-----------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" - Red Green

http://hamiltonchronicles.com

GeneJockey

#29 Post by GeneJockey » Wed May 30, 2012 9:52 am

HandyDan wrote:
Seeing your step by step process would be awesome. I'm not sure I'm ready to delve into that area yet but maybe if I saw what was involved I would be less intimidated.
Years from now, it may serve as a cautionary tale - Don't Do This! :o

trim

#30 Post by trim » Wed May 30, 2012 10:40 am

HandyDan wrote:
trim wrote: Also, who's Tom and Larry?
Tom from Dash-2 http://www.dashto.com/newlists/tools.htm
Uncle Larry http://www.execulink.com/~lfoord/tools.html