Service center Recommendation

Workshops, techniques, manuals, DIY
Cory39744

Service center Recommendation

#1 Post by Cory39744 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:10 am

Hello all!

I inherited a watch from my grandfather and would like to know where to get it serviced. I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. I imagine there are a few reputable places on the east coast. I am looking to get it back working or maybe the "full spa" treatment depending on the price. I've had 2 watch makers tell me it wasn't worth the money to fix but the sentimental value is what matters to me. I know its a cheap watch but I'd love to get it running again. Maybe a donor movement would work as well.

Now on to the watch in question:
The watch is a Philips "21 Jewelled" time only. The odd part (with my limited bit of knowledge) is the movement doesn't have any markings other than "one 1Jewel" "unadjusted". Also, the movement appears to be offset within the case. I tried to do some basic research to find out about the watch but came up empty handed. Thanks again for views, thoughts, and suggestions!

JerseyMo

Re: Service center Recommendation

#2 Post by JerseyMo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Cory39744 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:10 am
Hello all!

I inherited a watch from my grandfather and would like to know where to get it serviced. I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. I imagine there are a few reputable places on the east coast. I am looking to get it back working or maybe the "full spa" treatment depending on the price. I've had 2 watch makers tell me it wasn't worth the money to fix but the sentimental value is what matters to me. I know its a cheap watch but I'd love to get it running again. Maybe a donor movement would work as well.

Now on to the watch in question:
The watch is a Philips "21 Jewelled" time only. The odd part (with my limited bit of knowledge) is the movement doesn't have any markings other than "one 1Jewel" "unadjusted". Also, the movement appears to be offset within the case. I tried to do some basic research to find out about the watch but came up empty handed. Thanks again for views, thoughts, and suggestions!
yes, sorry to tell you that the watch is just an inexpensive one and not a 21 jewel at all. Those one jewel wonders as I call them are very commonly found in all sorts of novelty watches. The dial looks offset because most often they were just glued on to the movement. So it probably has come loose. You might be able to get it to run with a few drops of lighter fluid on the pivots. than follows with some watch oil.

or, since you caught me on a good day, I'll even offer to look at it for you.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

Cory39744

#3 Post by Cory39744 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:54 pm

That would be amazing! My limited skills likely wouldn't do any good. :) I'll PM you if you don't mind.

JerseyMo

#4 Post by JerseyMo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:04 pm

bad news - broken balance staff and pallet fork -
To me it looks like someone was poking around and caused the issued.
DSC06243.JPG
DSC06243.JPG (58.97 KiB) Viewed 570 times
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

Cory39744

#5 Post by Cory39744 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:48 am

Thanks for looking at it. I hate I'm not able to get this one going. Id love to find a donor movement though.