Pallet fork position?

Workshops, techniques, manuals, DIY
semroc

Pallet fork position?

#1 Post by semroc » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:37 pm

When installing the hairspring assembly, does the pallet fork need to be toward the stem side or other side? Going on two hours trying to install it. Don't know how you all do it. 😡. Thanks.

JackW

Re: Pallet fork position?

#2 Post by JackW » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:14 pm

Not sure I understand your question. Can you post of photo of what you have?

Are you trying to place the balance into the movement after you have placed the pallet fork? If that is the case.... I wind the main spring so the barrel has a full turn. This puts some tension into the train. Next, I bring the balance and bridge in so that the impulse is pointed towards the stem side; the fork end that engages with the impulse stone is also pointed away and towards the stem side (on a hunter movement) and then as I am placing the balance I rotate it and the bridge counter-clockwise to then engage with the end of the pallet fork.

Hope that helps.
All I know is based on hard work & writing by others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. -me
"If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Newton

semroc

#3 Post by semroc » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:44 pm

Thank you. That totally explained it. Much appreciated.

JackW

#4 Post by JackW » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:52 am

Glad I could help.
All I know is based on hard work & writing by others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. -me

SFC

#5 Post by SFC » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:52 pm

The balance cock should not be fully seated if the roller is not in the fork horn slot. If you fully seat the balance cock and the roller is not in position no matter how you turn the balance wheel the roller will hit the exterior of the fork horn and stop.

semroc

#6 Post by semroc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:10 pm

Thanks SFC. Yours and Jack W's explanation helped alot. Unfortunately I wrapped the hairspring around the balance wheel, and it's now a tangled mess. It was a working private label movement that I should've never messed with in the first place. It was running real fast, and didn't react to regulator adjustments or demagnetizing. So I thought I'd try demagnetizing the hairspring. Now its fubar, and I need blood pressure meds. Lol.

unreformed66

#7 Post by unreformed66 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:46 am

What movement is it? I might be able to help.

semroc

#8 Post by semroc » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:02 am

0 size, 11 jewel, Illinois.

JackW

#9 Post by JackW » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:16 am

semroc wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:10 pm
So I thought I'd try demagnetizing the hairspring. Now its fubar, and I need blood pressure meds. Lol.
I always place it in a little baggie (eg., dime bag*) fold it over itself several times and then run it through the tunnel.
semroc wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:02 am
0 size, 11 jewel, Illinois.
I've got one of those on my bench at the moment too. My issue is the single roller. I need to restaff it; broken pivots. I need to reduce the diameter of the staff where the roller sits just a bit; apparently the single and double rollers are different diameters. :roll:

*I went to college and live in Colorado, what else do you call those small baggies?

semroc

#10 Post by semroc » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:28 am

Thanks for that demagnetizing info JackW. Ill try that next time. Good luck with yours. Sounds tricky. I stretched out the hairspring on mine fiddling with it too much.