Getting my toe wet?

Workshops, techniques, manuals, DIY
Watercolor23

Getting my toe wet?

#1 Post by Watercolor23 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Hello folks! Please bear with me as I explain: I've been collecting watches for quite a while now and love doing it more and more. In the course of collecting them, a few have gone awry. I've had them professionally cleaned, repaired etc. when needed. I have a limited number that I'd acquired and that have failed but I don't feel they spending a lot to repair them would be justified. For most, I wouldn't...and don't hesitate. Overall, my many watches remain reliable and are in fine shape. However, I just recently came to possess a watch...nothing grand, mind you, hardly as fine or with as much character as others that I own...but I do like the way it looks and it keeps time perfectly well (with the exception in that regard, being that the hour hand is broken/short . However, there was something amiss with the crown. Firstly, it was, I believe, far too small because it was exceptionally difficult to wind the watch. Beyond that, by "pulling" the crown, I could set the time, but only by going "backwards". Turning the crown in the forward direction wouldn't move the hands at all, and, in fact, "unscrewed" and removed the crown from the stem. So, it's pretty much clear that this wasn't the correct crown...AND/OR...stem. So, I got it in my all too unprofessional mind, to have it professionally serviced, but that I would take a look to see how easy or difficult it might be to locate the stem and crown that matched the original parts of the watch.

Okay...all that having been said by way of background, the watch is a Benrus. It is written on the bottom of the dial: 033 SWISS 225. The movement is identified a DR 2L1 and with this information, I'm looking for a stem with its relevant crown and the hands for this watch

The gravamen of my post here is: Can anyone tell me if ANY Benrus parts labelled "DR" can be suitable for this specific movement labeled more directly and specificaly as DR 2L1? OR...must any part that I seek be for ONLY a movement identified as DR 2L1?

A genuine THANK YOU for any guidance you might be able to give me on this effort which might be otherwise daunting...Alan
Attachments
BENRUS MOVEMENT DR 2L1.jpg
BENRUS MOVEMENT DR 2L1.jpg (954.4 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
BENRUS DIAL.jpg
BENRUS DIAL.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 1767 times
BENRUS WATCH.jpg
BENRUS WATCH.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 1767 times

JerseyMo

Re: Getting my toe wet?

#2 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:11 pm

so to get to the end quick the best suggestion is that if you are wanting to get in some level of repairs you are best to buy parts lots. Plenty of offering s of crowns, new and used on ebay.

good to get a pin vise too, this is used to hold the stem while you twist down the crown. good luck.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

pETE201

#3 Post by pETE201 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:30 pm

The watch looks very much like a Benrus Squire and the movement is a version of the ETA 2370. If you check the Ranfft watch movement database you will find information about the stem and hands you are looking for
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db. ... k&ETA_2370

Good luck!

Watercolor23

#4 Post by Watercolor23 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:43 am

Hey...THANKS for the responses! I took a look a the Benrus Squire and it does look remarkably like the watch I have. The one (significant?) difference in appearance is that the Squire bears the term 'shock-absorber' on the dial and the watch I have does not. In fact, there was a Squire up for auction a few weeks ago. Also, the ETA 2370 movement does not match the movement of the watch I have so it seems that the "shock-absorber" feature is a significant difference in the two. There is a dial and movement that is identical to my Benrus available and though it has rust, I'm assured by the vendor that the crown and stem are in perfect condition, so I'll buy that and hope that my watchmaker can use those. Otherwise, I'll have my watchmaker restore the parts as well as he can in keeping with the integrity of the original watch. I think I'm totally afraid to attempt to repair the watch myself...thanks again...Alan