Magnetized antimagnetic watch dilemma

Workshops, techniques, manuals, DIY
prospex

Magnetized antimagnetic watch dilemma

#1 Post by prospex » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:23 am

I have an antimagnetic watch with a Lorsa 238A movement which I figured is magnetized. It ran way ahead and it was ticking very fast inside, I believe I also saw areas of the hairspring being "glued" together which is another telltale sign (how else would a hairspring be magnetized right?).

Bought a demagnetizer and used it on the watch and after a few tries it seemed to have done the job. The problem is that after a few minutes or so it goes back into magnetized state.

The movement itself is in good condition, as is the watch, so there's no reason to believe that it's dirty or stained with lubricants and so on. I've checked the movement and I don't seem to notice anything wrong specifically but it does look odd when it goes into the magnetized state. Don't know for sure if the hairspring stuck to each other again but I did see that it only seems to spiral in and out on the interior while the exterior doesn't move...

Am I doing it wrong with the demagnetizer ? I know that you're supposed to hold it in the specified spot and hold the button and then after 10 (?) seconds slowly take it away... Is this correct ?

441victor

Re: Magnetized antimagnetic watch dilemma

#2 Post by 441victor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:50 pm

An easy and cheap way to detect a magnetized movement is to use an inexpensive survival / camping compass. You can find them at Army Navy stores or on Ebay. Nothing elaborate, the cheaper the better. Just move it around near your watch and any motion of the needle will indicate magnetism. I use a demagnetizer designed for use on old reel to reel tape recorders. Techniques vary but moving it over and around close to the watch and then slowly away before shutting it off seems to work for me. Check again and the compass needle shouldn't wiggle. Joel

veritas123

#3 Post by veritas123 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:42 am

It may not be magnetized at all.
Many times lubricant will migrate to the coils of the hairspring. A small amount will work its self around and give the appearance on a magnetic charge.

prospex

#4 Post by prospex » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:54 am

I had an antimagnetic watch that I thought was magnetized as it had the specific signs. In reality there were problems with the hairspring. It was warped or something like that so you might want to take that into account.

Use a loupe and check the hairspring to see whether it's OK.