Hello, my name is Jamie and I have a (Timex) addiction.

Vintage American Watch Discussion Forum
shadeone

Hello, my name is Jamie and I have a (Timex) addiction.

#1 Post by shadeone » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:15 am

So a couple years ago I decided that in my love of all things 50s, I wanted to wear a timepiece that represented what was probably worn on more wrists in the era than any other watch and decided on the mid-50s Timex Marlin. I settled on the 1953 and 1955 models and got myself decent running versions of both. Well after reading about how these were disposable watches and not really meant to be worked on, I decided to start stocking up on spares for parts just in case... Well I dug all of my "spares" out of their various storage places a few days ago and put them into a new home. Seeing them all together made me realize how much of a problem I have. But.... It's a problem that I am not ashamed of because I love this model and I will not stop buying these :)
Sometime soon here I am going to start replating bad cases and assembling the good bits of these into complete working nice watches. A spare working watch is cooler than drawer of dead spare parts watches.

pic:

If anyone had any spares of these, working or not, I'd love to add them to the collection ;) haha

Paleotime

Re: Hello, my name is Jamie and I have a (Timex) addiction.

#2 Post by Paleotime » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:19 am

Hey Jamie...That is nothing to be ashamed of...And my project watch box looks way worse than that...

JerseyMo here is a Timex guy - hopefully he will check in.
"Percentage players die broke too..." - Fast Eddie in the Hustler

JerseyMo

#3 Post by JerseyMo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:39 am

The first challenge with maintaining US Time watches from the early years is that the #21 movement was discontinued and replaced by the #22. And no you can't swap a #22 into a #21 :(
Some of the distinct features of the #21 are the brass colored bridged and the square tipped stem. While servicing them you will find one very common problem. Which is the balance will not swing dial side up or dial side down. The cause of this is wear to the end cap which is part of the famous "vconic". The #22 was better as it was when US Time introduced the use of armaloy in making parts. This is noticeable by the nickel colored finish to the plates.
You may have also noticed that some dials have the tabs in different locations as well. Ah the joy of it all!
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

Dadistic

#4 Post by Dadistic » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:20 am

I too occasionally dabble in Timex, and have tried to focus on '50's watches but without much success :)

I have also been looking after the Timex document collection, you can find it here -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-IKH ... DJnMld2SE0