Fred's New Book Set

Vintage American Watch Discussion Forum
Air

Fred's New Book Set

#1 Post by Air » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:40 pm

I originally posted this in the Elgin forum, but after input from others I am also posting it here in this forum (an yes, there is information on Benrus, Bulova, Elgin, Hamilton (of course) and others):

Just wanted to mention Fred Friedberg's new book set on the Illinois Watch Co., because I think it is one of the most important books ever published on wristwatches. It is as relevant to this forum as it is to the Elgin forum.

A watch is only a timepiece, until it has a backstory. The backstory is what adds the value. Fred's voluminous history presents that backstory, not only behind Illinois' watches, but also the details of wristwatch history of the 1920's and 1930's. Many consider this the sweet spot (or sweet era) for wristwatch collecting, when American manufacturers offered the most attractive and varied watches ever produced. Fred's research describes the era thoroughly. For anyone, who collects watches of this time period (or any time period for that matter), this set is a great investment: Probably the best investment any watch collector can make in support of his or her collection.

GJH

Re: Fred's New Book Set

#2 Post by GJH » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:16 pm

I remember my very early days of collecting and discovering Fred's first book. I still have it close by and have worn the cover to the bone.
It has saved me SO much money over the years. The "Fantastic Finds" I have discovered, knowing what to look for, has paid
for the book dozens of times over. The thought of a 5 volume book packed with the complete world of Illinois is kind of hard to fathom.
I know the first new discovery I get, will pay for this set. From what I am hearing from folks like you and others who have gone through it, is
that this will totally change the way someone can collect Illinois. If there was any uncertainty as to a model or possible combinations
there of, that is solved. Fred says with confidence, that Illinois will be among the safest vintage brands to collect and it's complete story told...
especially the Hamilton Years.
I can't wait to get reading and discover new and exciting things out there. Once I got bitten by the Illinois Art Deco bug, it was hard to stop...
Now I will just have to keep on going. Fred is also in a watch selling mood and is finally selling stuff from his personal collection. He has
done so much for my collection and now folks can buy an Illinois knowing that Fred has had it. Exciting times we live in.
Moderator Illinois Watch Forum
Still, Just living in Rick's world...

FJF

Re: Fred's New Book Set

#3 Post by FJF » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:11 pm

Thanks Bob and Greg for your generous comments.

For those interested, you can see the Table of Contents, Introduction and sample pages of the new book set on my website illinoiswatches.com.

You can also order the book set on my website at at a special price.

Thanks,

FJF