Marlin - reissue

Vintage American Watch Discussion Forum
JerseyMo

Marlin - reissue

#1 Post by JerseyMo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:16 pm

Spotted this ad, and found the watch with editors note ( mrporter.com) stating it is hand wind. but the details say quartz movement.
Still very cool and will try to contact maker to find out more.
ad.jpg
ad.jpg (79.66 KiB) Viewed 332 times
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

JerseyMo

Re: Marlin - reissue

#2 Post by JerseyMo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:53 pm

well this Marlin re-issue is creating quite the buzz. Originally selling at $200 from retails, they are now re-selling at $300 or more!

and yes, the vintage market is reaping the benefits too. Anything I have sold with MARLIN is returning a nice ROI..... time for a happy dance!
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

Frobob

#3 Post by Frobob » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:18 pm

I did a little sleuthing; someone on Watchuseek posted a movement shot.
It’s the decorated version of a Seagull ST6 with all the automatic stuff pulled off.

JerseyMo

#4 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:35 am

yes, I found the same info. Will be interesting to see which movement hold up the longest. The original #24 or the Seagull. My money is on the #24.

JerseyMo

#5 Post by JerseyMo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:19 am

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (80.32 KiB) Viewed 197 times

GJH

#6 Post by GJH » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:44 pm

Finally Got to meet JerseyMo in the flesh. Turns out we live in neighboring towns!

He was showing me some BEAUTIFUL Timex.

I have to say I was really impressed. For very affordable watches in their day, the classic
lines and tough as nails workmanship was something to see.

I can understand why Timex guys are really into them.

WIll get together again and take some photos to share.

Great meeting you Mo.

G
Moderator Illinois Watch Forum
Still, Just living in Rick's world...

JerseyMo

#7 Post by JerseyMo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Likewise Greg, always great to sit down and talk watches and history of the industry.

Hope to chat again soon and share more stories.

Clyde

#8 Post by Clyde » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:10 pm

Saw this on the reissue on Hodinkee. Love the idea of them selling a mechanical again for the first time since '82. Good looking watch!

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/timex-marlin-hands-on

JerseyMo

#9 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:27 am

Clyde wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:10 pm
Saw this on the reissue on Hodinkee. Love the idea of them selling a mechanical again for the first time since '82. Good looking watch!

I recall the year was 1993 when Timex stopped releasing mechanical watches. The issue is named the "Last Windup", these came in numbered cases for both men and women.
but besides the Last Windup there were others made after 1982 as well. think I'll drop a note to hodinkee :)

JerseyMo

#10 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:48 am

JerseyMo wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:27 am
Clyde wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:10 pm

I recall the year was 1993 when Timex stopped releasing mechanical watches. The issue is named the "Last Windup", these came in numbered cases for both men and women.
but besides the Last Windup there were others made after 1982 as well. think I'll drop a note to hodinkee :)
correction - the Last Windup was made in 1996 - 14 years after the hodinkee articles indicates. Hmmmmmmm maybe they should have asked JerseyMo?

http://www.mcbroom.biz/forum/read.php?2,36551