Timex Super Thin - AKA Wafer Thin

Vintage American Watch Discussion Forum
JerseyMo

Timex Super Thin - AKA Wafer Thin

#1 Post by JerseyMo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:36 am

Thought I show a Timex series that some may not be familiar with or have seen before. This example is from 1969 and measures 34mm across ,8.5mm thick and is powered by a #23 movement.
Not easily found in this condition because they were not water proof and because of the split case design, it was typical for them to get water damaged.
DSC05474.JPG
DSC05474.JPG (84.19 KiB) Viewed 670 times
DSC05475.JPG
DSC05475.JPG (242.04 KiB) Viewed 670 times
DSC05476.JPG
DSC05476.JPG (93.4 KiB) Viewed 670 times
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

Dadistic

Re: Timex Super Thin - AKA Wafer Thin

#2 Post by Dadistic » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:09 am

Very nice! I've seen them listed in the catalogs, haven't run across one yet myself, especially in such good condition.

JerseyMo

#3 Post by JerseyMo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:35 pm

Dadistic wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:09 am
Very nice! I've seen them listed in the catalogs, haven't run across one yet myself, especially in such good condition.
yes, this one is in great condition....and it currently listed for sale over on my eBay store.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

JerseyMo

#4 Post by JerseyMo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:09 pm

here is one from 1966 -
Attachments
DSC05524.JPG
DSC05524.JPG (77.38 KiB) Viewed 637 times

Dadistic

#5 Post by Dadistic » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:55 am

Interesting! Looks like the aspect ratio is different between the catalog and the actual item. Illustrators License?

Hamtramck Stan

#6 Post by Hamtramck Stan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:41 pm

The back of the case is in AMAZING condition. These are almost always pitted, corroded or very worn, but this appears like new. It is one of simple elegance, taking syltyling cues from Longines. Very nice!

JayMay

#7 Post by JayMay » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:41 pm

I actually have one of these right now, and have been trying to find out info on it all day. I posted on r/Watches and they said to try this forum, so here I am. Then, right off the bat, I see a thread about the Timex Wafer Thin! Crazy. So, how do I find out if I have something special? I was recently passed down some watches, and being a complete noob when it comes to time pieces of any kind, I've been doing a bunch of Googling and posting on Reddit and elsewhere.

I was given a vintage Seiko Quartz that's really cool looking, but obviously that's for a different place. The other one I got was the aforementioned Timex. I've attached a couple pics. Not running, but I'm going to see if a jeweler can't remedy that problem. Has some very small marks, imperfections, but otherwise it aint in bad condition at all.

Does anybody know how old this thing may be? Is it worth anything?
Attachments
20170922_161954-1.jpg
20170922_161954-1.jpg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 310 times
20170922_162455-1.jpg
20170922_162455-1.jpg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 310 times

stryfox

#8 Post by stryfox » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Mo will be the guy with the answers. He it to go to timex guy.
I’m sure he will see this post soon enough.
Most timex don’t have a high value. That doesn’t mean they are not worth having . I have at least a dozen or so in my collection.

JerseyMo

#9 Post by JerseyMo » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:57 pm

JayMay wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:41 pm
I actually have one of these right now, and have been trying to find out info on it all day. I posted on r/Watches and they said to try this forum, so here I am. Then, right off the bat, I see a thread about the Timex Wafer Thin! Crazy. So, how do I find out if I have something special? I was recently passed down some watches, and being a complete noob when it comes to time pieces of any kind, I've been doing a bunch of Googling and posting on Reddit and elsewhere.

I was given a vintage Seiko Quartz that's really cool looking, but obviously that's for a different place. The other one I got was the aforementioned Timex. I've attached a couple pics. Not running, but I'm going to see if a jeweler can't remedy that problem. Has some very small marks, imperfections, but otherwise it aint in bad condition at all.

Does anybody know how old this thing may be? Is it worth anything?

Looks to be a 1969 just as the one I showed above. Carl, is correct not much by way of value compared to most but still great vintage pieces. Finding someone to work on it for you will be like "findings hens teeth" as my fellow collectors across the pond often say. Overall yours looks to be in very nice condition and should clean up just find. The movement is a standard #23 which was used in many ladies models as well. I would advise to not use any band other than leather as the metal ends of the expansion bands dig into the lugs.

JayMay

#10 Post by JayMay » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:14 am

Wow, you DO know your stuff! Thanks for all that info, dude. Greatly appreciated. Not sure what I'm going to do with this now however. Isn't something I ever saw myself wearing, and then when you add in the fact that I'll have a hard time finding someone to just get it up and running, it appears I will just be putting it in a drawer and forgetting about it for the time being. Well, AFTER I go to my jeweler and see if he can take a crack at it, that is. I had to go see him anyway to put a new battery in an old Seiko ( that I've posted about elsewhere in these forums), so if he can't do anything, then that'll be that.

Again, thanks so much!