I may have to quit

Vintage American Watch Discussion Forum
JerseyMo

I may have to quit

#1 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:30 pm

If this one sells for the asking price I just may have to quit selling watches and start selling shovels!

eBay item number: 142362001212
Here are some snippets from the sellers description with my comment added.

Vintage Timex Telephone Men's Watch Wind up Gold tone Collectible working >>> Okay and?
Original Watchband >>>> no not original and not even close
The watch is working but I don't know if it keeping good time I have no time to test many watches are accurate. All Mechanical watches are being sold AS IS >>> so you are a lazy ass?
Collectible watch
(#10) What is collectible watch #1? maybe a Hello Kitty for 300K?
This is a nice looking watch >>> yes the scratch in the crystal is what sets this one apart of all the rest!
See picture for Visual description >>>> oh now we are getting in deep
This is not a "battery watch. IT IS A VINTAGE RARE Collectible Manual wind Watch >>> gee did you know that manual wind watches are RARE?
(Actual pictures)
The pictures are of the exact item you are buying >>>> no bait and switch here folks!
This watch is used with scratches
Pretty Cheap price, shipping cost includes tracking number in the U.S. >>>>> $299 is cheap? I just got one in last week for 2 bucks. Guess that is a steal? Oh right it did not come with the original band... in fact it did not come with a band.

The seller must have gone to the PT Barnum school of "A sucker is born...."

rant of the day is over.... I feel better now :roll:
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

GJH

Re: I may have to quit

#2 Post by GJH » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:33 am

WOW!

That is a CLASSIC. Who knew that "vintage" Timex watches actually increased that much in value.

This is a typical Flea Market auction.

A little trick when dealing with watch auctions (for the noobs)
Take a look at what else the seller has for sale... this lets you know right away
what the mindset of the seller usually is.

When they have a hodgepodge of nicknacks, they are either an "estate" seller (and I use that term loosely)
or it is a garage sale on ebay, etc.

When you see one of these like this one, think of it like a garage sale... the seller puts a high price with a Make Offer.
The longer it stays up, the more the price goes down (in the sellers Head) By the time this has been up there a month, he will gladly take
a VERY reasonable offer (who knows what that could possibly be?!?)

G
Moderator Illinois Watch Forum
Still, Just living in Rick's world...

JerseyMo

#3 Post by JerseyMo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Here is another good one -

Needs a battery? Each watch is tested and list any flaw if any is known.

So you tested it and noted the flaw was that it needs a battery. How exactly did you test it without a battery?
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

stryfox

#4 Post by stryfox » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:30 pm

I put a battery in it to test it and it worked perfectly but then I took the battery back out because it's not the original battery.
Sarcasm.