Timex Super Thin - AKA Wafer Thin

Vintage American Watch Discussion Forum
JerseyMo

Re: Timex Super Thin - AKA Wafer Thin

#11 Post by JerseyMo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:50 am

JayMay wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:14 am
Wow, you DO know your stuff! Thanks for all that info, dude. Greatly appreciated. Not sure what I'm going to do with this now however. Isn't something I ever saw myself wearing, and then when you add in the fact that I'll have a hard time finding someone to just get it up and running, it appears I will just be putting it in a drawer and forgetting about it for the time being. Well, AFTER I go to my jeweler and see if he can take a crack at it, that is. I had to go see him anyway to put a new battery in an old Seiko ( that I've posted about elsewhere in these forums), so if he can't do anything, then that'll be that.

Again, thanks so much!
sure. let me know how the jeweler responds to the request. Odds are they will not take on the repair but lets see. As a back up plan I can provide a working #23.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

JayMay

#12 Post by JayMay » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:19 pm

Yeah, he thought it was kinda neat but was a hard pass when it came to fixing it up. Oh well! On top of that, I brought in my 1984 Seiko, and he flipped over that one. It's in really good condition, looks gorgeous, and he was excited about it, said he could put a new battery in it and sell it for $100 easy...but then he opened it up and we found the battery (which had been in there for god knows how many years, probably a couple decades) had exploded and leaked battery acid everywhere, ruining the guts of the watch. That really stung, because that one was a really dope vintage piece and in great condition. So my trip to the jeweler provided nothing but sadness and misery. :x

JerseyMo

#13 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:07 pm

ah yes the worst part of the quartz era is the leaking of battery. But than again, depending on the maker you may be able to find NOS or even new movements.
Post a pic of the Seiko
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

JayMay

#14 Post by JayMay » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:30 pm

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=11099

There's original thread I posted some pics in last week. Shame...it was really good looking, was hoping a quick battery replacement would get it going again and I could sell it for a lil extra dough but looking like it'd be a project just to get it running. I did find out that it is indeed from 1984, after posting about it in the japanese watch subReddit the other day. A watch that's over 30 years old and still looks that good...that's why it hurts so bad, lol.

JerseyMo

#15 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:13 pm

hmm - that Seiko looks a lot like this one-
DSC06247.JPG
DSC06247.JPG (96.52 KiB) Viewed 157 times

JayMay

#16 Post by JayMay » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:17 am

Lil bit, yeah. Day/date display is different and less gold, but it's definitely in the same family. I could have sold that one pretty easily, with the shape it's in, but it was also cool enough that I was thinking of keeping it for myself. Now, I don't know. Someone on the Japanese watch subReddit said I should just have someone put a similar movement inside of it and then I'll have a nice looking watch from time to time. Not sure if it's worth it, though. My watch guy didn't seem to think that'd work, too.

JerseyMo

#17 Post by JerseyMo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:57 am

I know that there are plenty of low cost used Seiko watches sold on Ebay. So finding that donor movement may not be too much work. It is hard to give up on projects but sometimes you just have to weigh the cost against the return.