Things to make you go hmmm?

Vintage Hamilton Watch Discussion Forum
HandyDan

Things to make you go hmmm?

#1 Post by HandyDan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:30 am

I just finished a new project and I was really surprised by the results.

I started out thinking I was working on a 1959 Dexter - an uncommon model. As I finished it, it occurred to me how "Romanesque" it seemed to be. When I looked in the catalogs I saw there's a Romanesque T that has the same case and bracelet but dots at the odd numbered positions on the dial.

So what do you think I have here... a Dexter or a variant of the Romanesque T? The dial is "original" and shows no signs of tampering. The bracelet looks like it's always been there, including the original spring bars.

Here are the photos from the library...

Dexter

Romanesque T

-----------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" - Red Green

http://hamiltonchronicles.com

Dave

Re: Things to make you go hmmm?

#2 Post by Dave » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:56 pm

The pattern on the Dexter dial seems to match yours exactly but yours is highlighted more by the patina. If you look at any of the visible texture on the photo thread Dexter, you can see the exact same texture in the same spot on yours. It looks like you got extremely lucky to get a Dexter with an original Romanesque bracelet. The Romanesque dial is pretty distinctly a cross-hatched pattern.

If you know anybody with a Romanesque T that needs an original bracelet, you could probably sell that separately.

(Hint: It's me!!!)

HandyDan

#3 Post by HandyDan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:17 pm

I definitely agree the dial is very Dexter-like. I don't know if the finish has a patina or if it's supposed to be that golden color. The fact that it had that bracelet and color dial is what made me wonder.
-----------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" - Red Green

http://hamiltonchronicles.com

Just 1 More

#4 Post by Just 1 More » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:32 pm

The Dexter has a white/silver ish dial and like Dave mention yours comes with the Romanesque -T bracelet that's only the 4TH bracelet I've seen in 16 years note also correct for the Trevor

mrcardigan

#5 Post by mrcardigan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:14 pm

Dan...really enjoying your blog btw. A great source of inspiration and information, Thank you.

How on earth would you go about cleaning a dial like the dexter? I'm guessing those lines are very fine textured relief on it?

Andy C.