80s Diver Prototype?

Vintage Hamilton Watch Discussion Forum

Re: 80s Diver Prototype?

#21 Post by vintagehamiltons » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:01 pm

I seem to recall reading something about this model several years ago. I believe it's a golf watch to keep the golfer's score. I don't know how that's done, though.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

#22 Post by Nookster » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:57 pm

You see them if you google Hamilton R&D.
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

#23 Post by Dave » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:49 pm

I suspect that this might be Hamilton's attempt to build a version of Lindbergh's Angle Hour Avigation watch. The window in the bezel could be used for GMT with a count for minutes before or after the hour read from the inner counter. The numbers around the actual bezel are used to help accurately count down the inside bezel number.

Or something like that. I really have no idea.

But if somebody that's better in math and science than I am wants to have a look at the technical details of the Hour Angle Avigation watch and see if it correlates to this one, here is a link that explains how it works.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-h ... ngle-watch

#24 Post by MattR » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:57 pm

I think Tom is onto something. In golf, stroke play is also known as "medal" play (as opposed to match play), hence the "MEDAL" in the ring of +/- numbers. I think perhaps the numbers on the outer bezel somehow indicate the player's medal play handicap in strokes per round. Maybe the inner ring tracks one's score relative to par with handicap, or perhaps relative to another player?

Without seeing how the controls work and what the number in the window does it's hard to tell for sure. But I'm guessing you set the handicap at the beginning of a round then track the cumulative +/- score by moving the ring or something.

#25 Post by retroworx » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:06 pm

I have some documentation/confirmation that this indeed a golfing watch. Just need to find the time to go back into my records and hunt up the info. . . .
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx