Dear EBay Sellers:

Vintage Hamilton Watch Discussion Forum
unreformed66

Re: Dear EBay Sellers:

#271 Post by unreformed66 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:48 pm

stryfox wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:31 am
When I list stuff that is serviced it comes with a warranty. When I list stuff as a .99 auction non serviced I write as is.
Most people realize that means they are assuming the risk associated with a watch with unknown service. However if they decide to return it I gladly take it back because if they want to fight it they are going to win anyway. That’s just how it works.
I hate when people clearly break stuff and return it. That frustrates me but it is what it is.
Yes, it's almost as frustrating when they break stuff as when they steal your good parts and replace them with their broken ones. And the ones doing that have to have enough knowledge to at least switch the parts out which makes it even worse.

HandyDan

#272 Post by HandyDan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:46 pm

Nookster wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:01 am
I'm not 100% sure of Ebay rules on making offers to "buy it now" as long as it goes thru Ebay, it's all fair game, no?

If I see a rare one, I will make an offer and convert to buy it now, everyone does it.
I don’t think it breaks any rules to ask for a buy it now price and it could also result in someone seeing the new listing and buying it before you can get to it. I think often people end the auction and sell it directly, which does break the rules and everyone else has to put up with new stupid rules as eBay tries to counter or prevent that from happening.

I’m a fan of listing watches with a BIN price with the make an offer option. Then it’s all fair and square.

Personally I think if the auction has bidders then ending it to list it as a buy it now isn’t really kosher but I don’t make the rules.
-----------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" - Red Green

http://hamiltonchronicles.com

https://www.instagram.com/hamiltonchronicles/

retroworx

#273 Post by retroworx » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:16 am

HandyDan wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:46 pm
if the auction has bidders then ending it to list it as a buy it now
I wonder if sellers are aware that when they do this, they are liable for "final value fees" based on the highest bid on the ended auction. Depending on how high the bids got before the auction was ended, that could turn out to be a substantial sum. . . .
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

JerseyMo

#274 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:51 am

retroworx wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:16 am
HandyDan wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:46 pm
if the auction has bidders then ending it to list it as a buy it now
I wonder if sellers are aware that when they do this, they are liable for "final value fees" based on the highest bid on the ended auction. Depending on how high the bids got before the auction was ended, that could turn out to be a substantial sum. . . .
If you have an Ebay store you can cancel any transaction without this penalty. The seller has every right to sell to their benefit, provided they sell within the User Agreement that is required by EBay.
To control this, Ebay does have many checks in place to prevent items being sold around them. One such check is the filtering of the exchange of a phone numbers via their email system.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

retroworx

#275 Post by retroworx » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:23 am

JerseyMo wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:51 am
If you have an Ebay store you can cancel any transaction without this penalty. The seller has every right to sell to their benefit, provided they sell within the User Agreement that is required by EBay.
To control this, Ebay does have many checks in place to prevent items being sold around them. One such check is the filtering of the exchange of a phone numbers via their email system.
Mo, I believe that you are incorrect, or are misunderstanding that my comment was in reference to auctions (with bids) that are ended early by sellers, and then relisted as BINs. It is true that any eBay seller, store or not, can cancel a BIN or auction (WITHOUT BIDDERS) without a final value fee. But if you are running an auction, and bids have already been placed, there is indeed a fee incurred on the value of the last bid placed before the auction is prematurely ended.

eBay Policy:
Fees

Ending an auction-style listing early once it has received a bid can lead to disappointed and frustrated buyers who may be less likely to bid on listings the next time around. For this reason, we may charge a fee if you end a listing early. This fee is equal to the final value fee you would have paid if the listing had ended on its own and sold for the highest bid received at the time you ended the listing.

We charge this fee if you cancel bids and end an auction-style listing early without a buyer.

We don't charge this fee if you end an auction-style listing early and sell to the high bidder. (In this case, normal final value fees apply.)

JerseyMo

#276 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:53 am

retroworx wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:23 am
JerseyMo wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:51 am
Mo, I believe that you are incorrect, or are misunderstanding that my comment was in reference to auctions (with bids) that are ended early by sellers, and then relisted as BINs. It is true that any eBay seller, store or not, can cancel a BIN or auction (WITHOUT BIDDERS) without a final value fee. But if you are running an auction, and bids have already been placed, there is indeed a fee incurred on the value of the last bid placed before the auction is prematurely ended.

eBay Policy:
Fees

Ending an auction-style listing early once it has received a bid can lead to disappointed and frustrated buyers who may be less likely to bid on listings the next time around. For this reason, we may charge a fee if you end a listing early. This fee is equal to the final value fee you would have paid if the listing had ended on its own and sold for the highest bid received at the time you ended the listing.

We charge this fee if you cancel bids and end an auction-style listing early without a buyer.

We don't charge this fee if you end an auction-style listing early and sell to the high bidder. (In this case, normal final value fees apply.)
can cancel all bids and than end the item. Or at least I think that is possible without penalty. Guess I'll have to test it out.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

retroworx

#277 Post by retroworx » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:05 am

JerseyMo wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:53 am
can cancel all bids and than end the item. Or at least I think that is possible without penalty. Guess I'll have to test it out.
Nope:
But give it a shot. ;)

JerseyMo

#278 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:45 pm

retroworx wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:05 am
JerseyMo wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:53 am
Nope:
But give it a shot. ;)
It is possible to cancel bids and end an item depending on time left.
See full details here : - http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_ear ... quirements

retroworx

#279 Post by retroworx » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:53 pm

JerseyMo wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:45 pm
It is possible to cancel bids and end an item depending on time left.
See full details here : - http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_ear ... quirements
Mo, you will need to read those conditions — the ones that determine the conditions with under 12 hours left — more carefully. This conversation was initially about incurring fees on auctions that were cancelled with bids, with the item then being sold as a BIN. If less than 12 hours to auction end, you can only end an auction with bids by selling to highest bidder IN THAT AUCTION. Otherwise, you cannot end an auction with bids that close to end AT ALL, fees or not. The link you provided outlines these restrictions.

stryfox

#280 Post by stryfox » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:11 pm

All I know is I pay eBay a lot of money to do little to help me when an issue arises. I really think the actual service part stinks for the fees they charge. However I have yet to find anything else that gets that amount of exposure.
My watches on instagram,
https://www.instagram.com/fth_classic_timepieces

Watches serviced and ready to go at,
http://fthclassictimepieces.com