Dear EBay Sellers:

Vintage Hamilton Watch Discussion Forum
mrcardigan

Re: Dear EBay Sellers:

#261 Post by mrcardigan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:24 pm

Agreed. Good spot. Add it to my post. Sh;te like this HAS to be preserved for posterity :)

rbonn

#262 Post by rbonn » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:11 am

Do not list a watch as just serviced, runs great. Sold As Is.

WITH NO RETURNS. LOL

Nookster

#263 Post by Nookster » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:31 am

rbonn wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:11 am

WITH NO RETURNS. LOL
No such thing on Ebay as "AS IS"
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

JerseyMo

#264 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:54 am

Nookster wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:31 am
rbonn wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:11 am

WITH NO RETURNS. LOL
No such thing on Ebay as "AS IS"
DITTO !! just use the infamous "Item not as described"
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

stryfox

#265 Post by stryfox » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:31 am

When I list stuff that is serviced it comes with a warranty. When I list stuff as a .99 auction non serviced I write as is.
Most people realize that means they are assuming the risk associated with a watch with unknown service. However if they decide to return it I gladly take it back because if they want to fight it they are going to win anyway. That’s just how it works.
I hate when people clearly break stuff and return it. That frustrates me but it is what it is.
My watches on instagram,
https://www.instagram.com/fth_classic_timepieces

Watches serviced and ready to go at,
http://fthclassictimepieces.com

owch

#266 Post by owch » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:31 am

Nookster wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:22 am
It's just so fun to wake up, get on your computer, see something you could not find attending any NAWCC show or searching every pawn shop or jewelry shop in America!

I am not one to help educate sellers (will help friends), if they post it with no name associated, or how rare it is, I just let it go. I remember Norm always going off on every seller, and wanting it all corrected and perfect. I disagreed with his views.
I was always, "that seller has no clue what they have." We all know most get bought offline anyway if it's rare, or turned into a buy it now.

I miss ole Norm, where the heck is he? I got a call from him a year or so ago, but never heard back from him.
GJH wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:49 am
For sure!
I am baffled by the seller who has no idea what the item he/she has.
If you can't take the time to educate yourself and do a quick google search...
(Maybe even look on a watch forum or 2?) You are on your own, and there
is no excuse for not knowing what you have.
I have found so many bargains this way, it is unreal.
Agreed.
If you can't be bothered researching what you have that's your choice.
It really annoys me when "helpful" people alert the seller to what an item typically sells for.
The seller had that opportunity already but chose not to bother.
"Helpful" people are only eliminating the chance for someone to buy a watch that they otherwise might not be able to afford.

tse

#267 Post by tse » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:42 pm

Do not use scare quotes to convey the fact that the watch DOES NOT RUN.
Attachments
runs.jpeg
runs.jpeg (10.91 KiB) Viewed 769 times
Tom Eanes

"Don't force it, get a bigger hammer."

HandyDan

#268 Post by HandyDan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:46 am

owch wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:31 am
Nookster wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:22 am
It's just so fun to wake up, get on your computer, see something you could not find attending any NAWCC show or searching every pawn shop or jewelry shop in America!

I am not one to help educate sellers (will help friends), if they post it with no name associated, or how rare it is, I just let it go. I remember Norm always going off on every seller, and wanting it all corrected and perfect. I disagreed with his views.
I was always, "that seller has no clue what they have." We all know most get bought offline anyway if it's rare, or turned into a buy it now.

I miss ole Norm, where the heck is he? I got a call from him a year or so ago, but never heard back from him.
GJH wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:49 am
For sure!
I am baffled by the seller who has no idea what the item he/she has.
If you can't take the time to educate yourself and do a quick google search...
(Maybe even look on a watch forum or 2?) You are on your own, and there
is no excuse for not knowing what you have.
I have found so many bargains this way, it is unreal.
Agreed.
If you can't be bothered researching what you have that's your choice.
It really annoys me when "helpful" people alert the seller to what an item typically sells for.
The seller had that opportunity already but chose not to bother.
"Helpful" people are only eliminating the chance for someone to buy a watch that they otherwise might not be able to afford.
At the risk of appearing to be Dudly Doright, I think a valid reason to let an uninformed seller know what they have is to prevent them from ending the auction early because someone else contacts them directly and offers "a lot of money for their crumby old watch"... like $800 for that funny-looking gold filled K475. I lost out on more than a few rare watches by playing by the rules only to see it end early because it's no longer available. I don't mind losing when everyone plays fair but I must admit that I've learned to put in a bid early (even if I intend to snipe later) and alert the seller on watches I'm interested in buying. I just say "Just so you know, this is a pretty rare watch so don't end the auction early if someone tempts you with an offer".

The only alternative is "if you can't lick them, join them" and to make an offline offer too - but I view that as the wrong thing to do.

If an uninformed seller lists a rare watch as a buy it now... I'll be the first to add it to my collection.

Good ol' Norm's heart was always in the right place and I respected his vigilance. He liked to keep everyone honest and would correct anyone (or everyone) when they presented their watch as "original" and it wasn't. Some eBay sellers take that term very casually. I guess in their opinion there can be a lot of variation in the dials, hands and crowns used at the "watch mint". Like Jimney Cricket, his playing the role of conscience could rub a little.

-----------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" - Red Green

http://hamiltonchronicles.com

https://www.instagram.com/hamiltonchronicles/

HamiltonDeco

#269 Post by HamiltonDeco » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:28 am

It's always great to find a vintage Hamilton in the original box. A seller can be excused for selling a mismatch they bought that way. Too often I think there's an intent to drive up the price of a watch by adding an "original" inappropriate box from a different era, either older or newer (or a common 8" celluloid women's box). Worse still, the waste of a scarce box that could be put to better use--Contour driver's model, Coral gold series with brown velvet pad, etc. Just my two cents worth!

Nookster

#270 Post by Nookster » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:01 am

I'm not 100% sure of Ebay rules on making offers to "buy it now" as long as it goes thru Ebay, it's all fair game, no?

If I see a rare one, I will make an offer and convert to buy it now, everyone does it.
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast