Dear EBay Sellers:

Vintage Hamilton Watch Discussion Forum
retroworx

Re: Dear EBay Sellers:

#231 Post by retroworx » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:04 am

swoon.jpg
swoon.jpg (96.99 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Dear Ebay Seller:

It's gonna take a heckofalot more than that.

P.S. I can't believe you paid an extra 50 cents for that subtitle.
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

watchdoc

#232 Post by watchdoc » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:13 am

retroworx wrote:
swoon.jpg
Dear Ebay Seller:

It's gonna take a heckofalot more than that.

P.S. I can't believe you paid an extra 50 cents for that subtitle.
If I'd know there was a "Magical watch" 50 years ago, I wouldn't have needed to go through 4 marriages!!! :roll:
"A man is no better than what he leaves behind"
Cecil B. DeMille

Try to remember, Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true!

Nookster

#233 Post by Nookster » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:13 am

LOL, what did it sell for to make that woman swoon? That is some funny stuff.
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

pETE201

#234 Post by pETE201 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:47 pm

hamiltonelectric wrote:I would be very interested in seeing your 500 contact 'button' replacement. That is definitely something that is urgently needed.
Sorry for being slow to reply, but here's a little preview of the 500 button re-solder job. I have only done two so far, so it's fair to say that we are at the "functional but ugly" stage in terms of finish.
So the problem is that sooner or later the silver button on the contact wire wears out or falls off.
DSCF6339.JPG
DSCF6339.JPG (62.39 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
DSCF6343.JPG
DSCF6343.JPG (36.65 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
The re-soldering involves a length of pure silver rod which I shape down to 0.2mm diameter, before fixing it at the end of the contact wire.
DSCF6357.JPG
DSCF6357.JPG (38.11 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
A little bit of trimming and polishing results in a working contact. Both movements are running with decent amplitude. There is scope for improving the shaping and polishing the button, but I am erring on the side of leaving a healthy amount of silver to increase the lifespan of the buttons.
DSCF6362.JPG
DSCF6362.JPG (49.93 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
DSCF6363.JPG
DSCF6363.JPG (44.9 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
It's hard to say how long the buttons will survive, but they seem to be well attached so far.
When I have time I will do a full run through showing how to do this, complete with photos!

hamiltonelectric

#235 Post by hamiltonelectric » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:54 am

Great job!!

retroworx

#236 Post by retroworx » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:03 am

Dear eBay (and all other vintage watch) Sellers:

Your preponderance of lies, thievery, bogus tales, and general sleaze is making it very hard to enjoy and continue with this hobby.

I may need a break. :?

JerseyMo

#237 Post by JerseyMo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:57 am

retroworx wrote:Dear eBay (and all other vintage watch) Sellers:

Your preponderance of lies, thievery, bogus tales, and general sleaze is making it very hard to enjoy and continue with this hobby.

I may need a break. :?
Yes, a break now and than is certainly needed. But, you know it is not just some sellers who take advantage. :evil:
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

afire

#238 Post by afire » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:09 am

I think fairly often Hanlon's Razor applies to inaccuracies in sellers' descriptions, particularly on eBay - "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." But I agree, way too much of it is intentionally deceptive.
Real men wear small watches.

JerseyMo

#239 Post by JerseyMo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:24 am

perhaps they all just observing Feb 26th which is •National Tell a Fairy Tale Day :)
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

retroworx

#240 Post by retroworx » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:16 am

afire wrote:I think fairly often Hanlon's Razor applies to inaccuracies in sellers' descriptions, particularly on eBay - "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." But I agree, way too much of it is intentionally deceptive.
Yes, I am lately experiencing a spate way beyond the usual: sellers taking money but not shipping (yes, eBay or PayPal will back you, but you have to wait until after the "expected delivery time" to get any action started — if the item is supposed to come from overseas, the system could require at least a month to wait for an appeal); sellers spinning fairy tales about a watch being mint, original and passed down from their father (you can google the exact watch having been sold from an online seller the month before); off-eBay seller claiming watch just needed crown replacement but I stumble upon the person who first sold that watch to seller with clear disclosure that the movement was wrong, is non-running and trashed. . . .

The stuff I am experiencing lately is way beyond innocent seller ignorance or the usual "light spin" to oversell a watch's condition. This is lying on a grand scale and outright theft.

P.S. I know it is "buyer beware", and I know that each transaction — especially off eBay — is a risk, I am just saying that the risk lately seems to be greater. :(