Dear EBay Sellers:

Vintage Hamilton Watch Discussion Forum
retroworx

Re: Dear EBay Sellers:

#221 Post by retroworx » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:28 am

watchdoc wrote:Same seller....same watch! :roll:
Not sure the problem?

It looks like the seller listed it a few times in the span of a few minutes and ended because of errors, then settled on a listing and sold it? It could be that the seller did not realize you can edit a listing for errors instead of ending it. . .

Or am I missing something? Woudn't be the first time. :lol:
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

tnwareagle89

#222 Post by tnwareagle89 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:53 am

Susan, I'd bet you're right on that one

I've seen sellers list an item twice, once as a regular auction / low starting bid / no buy it now and then list the same item as a buy it now / fixed price only

I assume that strategy is used so a seller can keep the "BIN" option even if the regular auction listing has bids

retroworx

#223 Post by retroworx » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:46 am

tnwareagle89 wrote:Susan, I'd bet you're right on that one

I've seen sellers list an item twice, once as a regular auction / low starting bid / no buy it now and then list the same item as a buy it now / fixed price only

I assume that strategy is used so a seller can keep the "BIN" option even if the regular auction listing has bids
Todd, if that is what is going on: 2 listings of the same item to hedge one's bets, then I would indeed call foul.

What I thought had happened was simply a listing error, first listing cancelled, then second listing run till close.

watchdoc

#224 Post by watchdoc » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:31 am

Susan, I've been watching this seller and this watch over the last month or so. Mainly out of curiosity because I have the same watch, with the original "military style box" and original "ad". When it first came up, seller had it on a BIN for right at $100. Didn't sell. Relisted it next day at $250, didn't sell. Both listings were 3 day listings.

Suddenly, all 3 of these new listings appeared within minutes of each other, all at different prices, all BIN's. Which one sold? Naturally the lease expensive one.

My opinion was that it was a "fishing expedition" on the sellers part.

My point was, what would have happened if all 3 of the of the same watch had sold to 3 different buyers under the BIN option? Who would have got the watch? I suspect the only watch available would have gone to the $275 buyer. The other 2 would have been given some excuse as to why the watch they purchased was suddenly unavailable.

To me, this ongoing behavior, is part of the problem under the swamps accepted policies.

By posting this under the "Dear Ebay Sellers" thread my hope is to help educate more buyers to what I call "Ebay Shenanigans"...
"A man is no better than what he leaves behind"
Cecil B. DeMille

Try to remember, Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true!

retroworx

#225 Post by retroworx » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:44 am

Ah, I did not understand that the listings had been running simultaneously.

I have experienced something similar: I purchased a watch on Etsy. Apparently the seller had the same watch at auction on eBay, and once that auction went over the Etsy sale price, my Etsy purchase was cancelled. :evil:

watchdoc

#226 Post by watchdoc » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:58 am

I agree Susan! It SUCKS!.

To me, that's what this thread is all about, educate buyers, and bring questionable sellers out into the LIGHT.
Cecil B. DeMille

Try to remember, Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true!

afire

#227 Post by afire » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:03 am

retroworx wrote:Ah, I did not understand that the listings had been running simultaneously.
I don't think this is what's going on here, but I did recently learn a little something about multiple listings for the same item. I've seen it a lot with vintage guitars. You'll see the same guitar, same pictures, but different sellers. Of course, it's all the same person. And they don't really have the guitar. The scam is to get you to win the auction, pay, then they claim that the item is damaged and offer you something else instead. It's really more deceptive marketing than an outright scam (in the few cases I came across, the payment was refunded when the bidder didn't bite), but shady nonetheless.
Real men wear small watches.

watchdoc

#228 Post by watchdoc » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:38 am

I don't think this is what's going on here
It's exactly what's going on here.

I've been watching this seller and this watch for over a month. Not a "innocent" mistake! :evil:
Cecil B. DeMille

afire

#229 Post by afire » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:14 am

watchdoc wrote:
I meant the particular scam I went on to describe isn't what's going on here. I'm not say it's legit, just a different game than the one I was describing.
Real men wear small watches.

watchdoc

#230 Post by watchdoc » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:08 am

afire wrote:
watchdoc wrote:
I meant the particular scam I went on to describe isn't what's going on here. I'm not say it's legit, just a different game than the one I was describing.
Sorry, my mistake :oops:

I thought you were referring to my example, not someting totally different.
Cecil B. DeMille