Dear EBay Sellers:

Vintage Hamilton Watch Discussion Forum
Dave

Re: Dear EBay Sellers:

#211 Post by Dave » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:21 pm

I will put mine back in when I get home from work.

Susan, I have a small collection of Electrics. Most need service. I bought most inexpensively with really nice cases and dials but sketchy movements with the idea that I would send them off to Renee someday. I think one of my Aquatel B's is still in running condition. I'm hoping this is the year for some Electric servicing.

retroworx

#212 Post by retroworx » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:45 pm

Dave, I might be Jarett's best service customer ( :o ), so I can certainly vouch for him. Not only does he know his way around the watches, but I had an opportunity to meet him a few months ago when he was visiting NYC, and he's a terrific guy.
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

Dave

#213 Post by Dave » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:31 pm

retroworx wrote:Dave, I might be Jarett's best service customer ( :o ), so I can certainly vouch for him. Not only does he know his way around the watches, but I had an opportunity to meet him a few months ago when he was visiting NYC, and he's a terrific guy.
I have no doubt that's true. I just need to prioritize the funds over new watches, cars, travel, etc. The pie is only so big. :lol:

pETE201

#214 Post by pETE201 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:02 am

Speaking of pies Dave (you'll see in a moment), if you can wait a few months I might be able to help you out with your electric 505s. My on going personal project to make my own version of the 505 contact is gaining a little momentum now, and is almost ready to be released into the wild. I am using a super hard white gold alloy to make a version of the D-pin, but modified to a more triangular "pizza" slice shape to even out the contact pressure a bit. My original prototype is still running having started in May 2015 (different shape, different alloy) having been through 2 battery changes.
So I now present the...Pizza Pin!
HMC Pizza1.jpg
HMC Pizza1.jpg (53.18 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
HMC Pizza2.jpg
HMC Pizza2.jpg (97.08 KiB) Viewed 1004 times

Dave

#215 Post by Dave » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:29 am

That's awesome. That could put a lot of Hamilton Electrics back in service.

hamiltonelectric

#216 Post by hamiltonelectric » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:35 pm

Jarett now has my stock of NOS Hamilton D-pins and Z-pins so putting 505s back into service will be no problem for many years to come. ;)

pETE201

#217 Post by pETE201 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:11 am

Obviously Jarrett's services will remain the gold standard for hopefully many years to come, but realistically only for the higher end electrics (perhaps Pacer and above). As Dave alluded to, there is a twilight zone of mainly round cased watches for which a full service and D-pin replacement is uneconomic due to their lower inherent value. The likelihood of getting these watches running again tends to be quite small as a result.
I have no commercial aspirations for my efforts (already got a job!), I merely wish to share in the enjoyment of these unique watches and if possible add a tiny bit to the accumulated wisdom if I am able to. Further to this for the 505, I have also worked out a relatively simple method for soldering a new silver button onto those annoying button-less 500 contact wires, which I would be happy to demonstrate in a separate thread if anyone is interested. When you know how it's not that hard to do actually.

P.S. Dave, if you fancy a slice of pizza send me a PM :lol:

hamiltonelectric

#218 Post by hamiltonelectric » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:01 pm

I would be very interested in seeing your 500 contact 'button' replacement. That is definitely something that is urgently needed.

retroworx

#219 Post by retroworx » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:43 am

pETE201 wrote:which I would be happy to demonstrate in a separate thread if anyone is interested.
Yes, please. :)
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

watchdoc

#220 Post by watchdoc » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:47 pm

"A man is no better than what he leaves behind"
Cecil B. DeMille

Try to remember, Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true!