Around The World Hamilton

Vintage Hamilton Watch Discussion Forum
retroworx

Re: Around The World Hamilton

#201 Post by retroworx » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:40 am

That nighttime city shot is fascinating. :)
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

Nookster

#202 Post by Nookster » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:06 am

Fantastic stuff.
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

stales

Hamilton Goes To Lisbon, Portgal

#203 Post by stales » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:26 pm

A short business trip to Lisboa (aka Lisbon), Portugal last week was a good opportunity to the share the sights of this beautiful old city with my Modern Ventura – and wife!

Lisbon is:
• The capital and largest city of Portugal, with a population of nearly 600,000 in the central administrative area,
• The 11th-most populous urban area in the European Union,
• Continental Europe's westernmost capital city - and the only one along the Atlantic coast,
• The westernmost point of Continental Europe,
• One of Europe’s major economic centres, with a growing financial sector and one of the largest container ports on Europe's Atlantic coast,
• The 7th-most visited city in Southern Europe, after Istanbul, Rome, Barcelona, Madrid, Athens and Milan,
• One of the oldest cities in the world and the oldest in Western Europe, predating other modern European capitals such as London, Paris and Rome by centuries.

Julius Caesar made Lisbon a municipium called Felicitas Julia, adding to the name Olissipo. It was ruled by a series of Germanic tribes from the 5th century before being captured by the Moors in the 8th century. In 1147, the Crusaders under Afonso Henriques reconquered the city and since then it has been a major political, economic and cultural centre of Portugal. Unlike most capital cities, Lisbon's status as the capital of Portugal has never been granted or confirmed officially – by statute or in written form. Rather, its position as the capital has formed through constitutional convention.

This first picture shows the old city from the vantage point of Castel de Sao Jorge (St Jorge’s Castle), looking towards the 25th of April suspension bridge across the Tagus River. The bridge was renamed to commemorate the final (well, most recent….) revolution, the Carnation Revolution, which took place on 25 April 1974, ending the right-wing Estado Novo (New Estate) and reforming the country into the current Portuguese Third Republic.
By coincidence, not only is the 25th of April tomorrow and a day of significance to the Portuguese, it is also a day commemorated by us Australians and our Kiwi cousins. We mark it as ANZAC Day, the day in 1915 when the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (and other Empire allies) stormed Turkish beaches on the Gallipoli Peninsular. After eight months of slaughter more than 44,000 Empire troops and 85,000 Ottoman Turks were dead and the battle had stalemated. Lest We Forget!

Another view from the Castel de Sao Jorge.

The Praça do Comércio (Commerce Square) is situated right on the bank of the Tagus river. It is still commonly known as Terreiro do Paço (Palace Yard) because it was the location of the Paços da Ribeira (Royal Ribeira Palace) until it was destroyed by the great 1755 Lisbon earthquake.

The oldest part of Lisbon sits in the bottom of a valley so, travelling away from the Praça do Comércio, things get steep rather quickly. The streets are cobbled and narrow and there are many sights such as this:

The Elevador de Santa Justa (Santa Justa Elevator) also called the Elevador do Carmo, is an outdoor elevator in the civil parish of Santa Justa, in the heart of the historical centre of Lisbon. For a EUR5 ticket charge you will be transported from the lower streets of the Baixa district to the higher Largo do Carmo (Carmo Square).

The view from the top of the elevator is fantastic. We were out and about early so the number of people was minimal – giving one a good view of the footpaths’/sidewalks’ famous mosaic cobbling.

And finally, the main boulevard in and out of the old city centre, the mile long Avenida Da Liberdade (Avenue of Liberty). Built in the 19th century in the style of the Champs-Elysees in Paris, this is the main avenue of the city, running from Restauradores to Marquês de Pombal Square. The footpath mosaics here are just incredible:

If you ever have the opportunity to visit this beautiful window into all the best that historic Europe has to offer then, as we say in Australia, “do yourself a favour” and go.
Roger

retroworx

#204 Post by retroworx » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:45 am

Roger, I am so enjoying my vicarious travels with you and Ventura — thanks so much for the fabulous posts!!
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

pETE201

#205 Post by pETE201 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:10 pm

Does anyone have an idea of the exact location of the original ATW Hamilton aka Hayden? North Wales seems to be the last known location, but it's not exactly precise. If someone knows where to look I'm not too far away geographically.
Come to that what's happened to ATW Hamilton II aka Merrett?

HandyDan

#206 Post by HandyDan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:08 am

Great question.

"Ash" pretty much screwed the pooch and ran off with the Hayden, never to be heard from again. If one of the mods knows his actual name (or whoever sent it to him does), then maybe you can hunt him down.

If you happen to see a guy that looks like this in a pub with a Hayden on his wrist, perhaps you can inquire on our behalf.

I suspect the owner of the Merritt still has it and it goes around the world strapped to his 9" Australian wrist. :lol:
-----------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" - Red Green

http://hamiltonchronicles.com

diveboy

#207 Post by diveboy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:11 am

left Australia ages ago...
Disruptive Elgin Collector.... 39.56043956043956
http://www.elgin.watch - Elgin Model Database
instagram @elgindownunder

Magpie

#208 Post by Magpie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:19 am

If you folks go back to the preceding page of this thread (p. 20), you'll find that Merritt arrived safely in Detroit about this time last year but as of March was still awaiting a sightseeing tour. Merritt was in good hands, so I expect we'll soon see it again.

pETE201

#209 Post by pETE201 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:28 pm

If you happen to see a guy that looks like this in a pub with a Hayden on his wrist, perhaps you can inquire on our behalf.
Given that Hayden went missing in action in my neck of the woods, I see it as my duty to personally visit every pub in the locality to see if I can track him down. To quote Captain Oates, "I am just going out and may be some time" :lol: :lol:

HamiltonIllinois

#210 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:43 pm

I am the derelict who has the most recent "ATW Hamilton" -- a Merritt. (Frankly, it keeps TERRIBLE time.... and I wanted to get it serviced, but after some health issues the last 2 years... I'm a bit forgetful and never sent it to my friend who services my watches.) Sorry about sitting on it FAR too long! I will attempt to get a few shots taken this week and pass it along. Who wants it next?
Rick
scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire