Hamilton Automatic Movement Question

Vintage Hamilton Watch Discussion Forum
JerseyMo

Hamilton Automatic Movement Question

#1 Post by JerseyMo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:20 am

In my weekly discussion with my watch maker friend we got around to a Hamilton automatic he wants to sell. He mentioned to me he had been told that Hamilton did not make their own automatic movements. Instead they were made by a few other movement makers. Is that correct?
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

SFC

Re: Hamilton Automatic Movement Question

#2 Post by SFC » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:30 pm

Mo, I think what your friend said is correct. Hamilton used a handful of different makers but never made their own. Early on the kurth freres movements (certina) and later the buren micro rotors and all the eta stuff. Not sure if they used schild autos and I am probably missing some other makers.

JerseyMo

#3 Post by JerseyMo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:39 pm

SFC wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:30 pm
Mo, I think what your friend said is correct. Hamilton used a handful of different makers but never made their own. Early on the kurth freres movements (certina) and later the buren micro rotors and all the eta stuff. Not sure if they used schild autos and I am probably missing some other makers.
thanks for confirming, I find it surprising myself that they went that route. But, I'm sure like anything else in business it was driven by cost.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

Nookster

#4 Post by Nookster » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:45 pm

I think ETA was a big supplier for Hamilton of the swiss movements also.
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

GreenBayStamps

#5 Post by GreenBayStamps » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:05 am

I find it interesting 1948 Schild split the company into a second division, “Eterna-Matic.” In 1954 Hamilton purchased Eterna-Matic movements to go into 3 of their first automatics; the K-200, K-300 and the K-400. These are the only three automatics to have the Eterna movements in them. Maybe with the Etern-Matic watches, it was not sustainable in having their own identity. The Eterna movement is a very solid unit, it could have been costs?

The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are, but in which direction we are moving. – Oliver Wendall Holmes