Help me find (replica?) ribbon band for women's Tonneau watch

Vintage Hamilton Watch Discussion Forum
ellamama

Help me find (replica?) ribbon band for women's Tonneau watch

#1 Post by ellamama » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:11 am

In sorting through various items I've inherited, I recently realized that a Hamilton women's wrist watch whose case I thought was sterling is actually 14K white gold. (I'll add a photo of it when I can--I didn't see anything like it on this forum.) Then I realized that it ran. And I wanted to wear it.
In consulting with a reputable estate jeweler, I learned this watch originally would have had black silk ribbon band. My grandmother (from whom I inherited the watch) wore it on a braided, leather cord bracelet with a sterling clasp (now broken).
In getting the watch serviced to wear, I'm trying to find a replacement band. I'm hoping you all can offer guidance.
I am pretty handy and can sew, so the idea of making my own replacement band is within my skill-set. But, in seeing some photos of the clasp used on the ribbon bands, I'm hard-pressed to know what I ought to do as a substitution. I saw on this forum a guy managed to rehab is mom's watch--but it seemed that he was able to work with the original item(s) and just had to replace/mend the ribbon (he had the original clasp--I'd love to know if folks have found means to obtain replacement clasp(s).
Thanks in advance for your advice!

afire

Re: Help me find (replica?) ribbon band for women's Tonneau watch

#2 Post by afire » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:33 am

They show up on eBay regularly. Go into the "wristwatch bands" category and search for "ribbon clasp" or "ribbon buckle." There are several there right now, however none are white gold, only yellow. But if you check back, one will show up in white soon. In the meantime, here's a good pic that shows how these work. I've done it a few times myself. Sew it onto one lug, run it through the other, sew on the clasp and it folds back to attach to the sliding receiver. Just be sure to remember to put the receiver on and position it correctly before you sew on the clasp on the end!
Real men wear small watches.

JerseyMo

#3 Post by JerseyMo » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:03 pm

I have one available - LMK if interested
DSC08115.JPG
DSC08115.JPG (107.66 KiB) Viewed 509 times
DSC08116.JPG
DSC08116.JPG (106.23 KiB) Viewed 509 times
DSC08117.JPG
DSC08117.JPG (98.16 KiB) Viewed 509 times
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vintage ... /forum-f2/

JerryT

#4 Post by JerryT » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:14 pm

These were usually made with grosgrain ribbon, which can still be found in various widths. The trick is to find the fittings for the clasp and adjustment.

Magpie

#5 Post by Magpie » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:04 am

In sorting through various items I've inherited, I recently realized that a Hamilton women's wrist watch whose case I thought was sterling is actually 14K white gold. (I'll add a photo of it when I can--I didn't see anything like it on this forum.)
I may be able to offer some specific advice if you can provide some photos of the watch and a little additional information. What was the casemaker? (The name and/or logo should be listed inside the back of the watch case along with the metal content that you found.) And what is the width of the lugs (where the ribbon or other type of watchband would be attached)?

ellamama

#6 Post by ellamama » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks for your responses! They're VERY helpful.

Here's more info. on the watch: Entering its serial number into PocketWatchDatabase.com, I learned that the watch is a Hamilton Grade 986 watch. It is older than I'd initially thought (1918). It reportedly had a "detachable bracelet".

From these forums, I learned that this watch was available with an "engraved" bracelet or a "plain" bracelet.
viewtopic.php?t=198

Is there a way to determine which a specific watch came with?

Am I correct that a "plain" bracelet would be the ribbon type? What would an "engraved" bracelet look like?

Thanks again for your guidance!

ellamama

#7 Post by ellamama » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:25 pm

JerseyMo: I tried to PM you, but apparently I'm too new a Forum member with too few posts to have earned such an honor. Is there another way to reach you?

JerseyMo

#8 Post by JerseyMo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:20 pm

ellamama wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:25 pm
JerseyMo: I tried to PM you, but apparently I'm too new a Forum member with too few posts to have earned such an honor. Is there another way to reach you?
email me - jerseymo58@yahoo.com
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vintage ... /forum-f2/

Magpie

#9 Post by Magpie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:56 am

Ellamama, as I mentioned in my earlier post, it would be helpful to see a picture of your watch. Even without it, however, I can address some of the questions you raised. First of all, for looking at Hamilton's ladies' models, it's easiest to use the thread "Just the Ladies' Catalogs" that is offered in the Ladies Watch Forum: http://www.vintagewatchforums.com/viewt ... 774#p19774
Here's more info. on the watch: Entering its serial number into PocketWatchDatabase.com, I learned that the watch is a Hamilton Grade 986 watch. It is older than I'd initially thought (1918). It reportedly had a "detachable bracelet".
The movement may date to 1918, but the watch is likely to have been cased somewhat later than that. The Hamilton Tonneau was apprently not offered until about 1924.
From these forums, I learned that this watch was available with an "engraved" bracelet or a "plain" bracelet.
viewtopic.php?t=198
No, the engraved bracelet and plain bracelet were for Hamilton's "Detachable Bracelet Watch" (see the 1919 catalog). This watch, sometimes called a Convertible, is essentially a small pocket watch with small loops at the top and bottom to which the ends of the bracelet were attached. These watches were "convertible" in the sense that they could be worn in several different ways: around the wrist with the bracelet attached, as a necklace when attached to a chain, or suspended from a watch pin or perhaps from a chatelaine. (BTW, Fred Friedberg's new book The Illinois Watch and Its Hamilton Years has a lot of information about these watches.)
Is there a way to determine which a specific watch came with?
If the watch is a convertible type, it would have originally come with one of those metal bracelets. A Hamilton Tonneau, which came later (see catalog from 1924), would have had a ribbon band.
Am I correct that a "plain" bracelet would be the ribbon type? What would an "engraved" bracelet look like?
No, a "plain" bracelet was a metal one offered for the Detachable Bracelet Watch; it was "plain" in the sense of having no engraving. These bracelets are shown with the watch in the 1919 catalog.

ellamama

#10 Post by ellamama » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:10 pm

I managed to get photos of my watch (below). Apparently, my grandmother was allergic to gold (?!) because the watch has a sterling silver cover that slips over the watch back. The cover was (patented and) made by Jaccard's in St. Louis. From the movement's serial number, the watch is from 1918. But the watch's case doesn't look like the watches from that time (with a removable, metal, wrist bracelet). So far, I haven't seen another Hamilton like it. Is there a watch CASE database available to look up information on the case?
IMG_7182.JPG
IMG_7182.JPG (4.69 MiB) Viewed 296 times
IMG_7184.JPG
IMG_7184.JPG (3.47 MiB) Viewed 296 times
IMG_7190.JPG
IMG_7190.JPG (2.98 MiB) Viewed 296 times
IMG_7186.JPG
IMG_7186.JPG (4.41 MiB) Viewed 296 times