Help with an electric 505 movement running fast

Vintage Hamilton Watch Discussion Forum
marxman99

Help with an electric 505 movement running fast

#1 Post by marxman99 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:01 am

In an effort to learn more about the Hamilton Electric watches, I would like to see if I could get some help with an issue I am having with a 505 movement running fast by more than 900 seconds/day.

The "finger block" moves freely, there is no oil on the finger, I have replaced the hair spring, and have installed the balance in another movement. I have checked the "beat" and believe it to be pretty close. These steps have all resulted in no difference in the speed the movement runs.

What am I missing? Is there something I have failed to do or check?

Thanks for your help. This affords me the opportunity to learn more about these little treasures.

hamiltonelectric

Re: Help with an electric 505 movement running fast

#2 Post by hamiltonelectric » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:06 am

When I saw the subject line my knee-jerk thought was contact wear. That inevitably causes a fast rate and it's also an extremely common issue in 505 Electrics since the contact is fairly soft and will wear enough to impact timekeeping in a couple of years.

But:
I have replaced the hair spring
That is the mostly likely reason right there. Hairsprings are not really interchangeable. Each spring has to be individually 'vibrated' to a specific wheel. The odds of a simple hairspring swap resulting in a properly timed balance are vanishingly small.

marxman99

Re: Help with an electric 505 movement running fast

#3 Post by marxman99 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Thank you so much. Now I know what not to do