Images Missing in Library

Vintage Hamilton Watch Discussion Forum
stales

Re: Images Missing in Library

#11 Post by stales » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:04 pm

Dave wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:48 am
I didn't help that my hard drive completely and unexpectedly died the other day. I lost all the data including all the photos I had collected. I think I've developed a good system for recovering the images. I still need to make more time to actually do it.
Gee Dave - major frustration for you. Thanks again on behalf of the entire VWF community for all your efforts.

Attached is the watch in question - and the box which states it's a "748 Vancott". I don't know (and I hope others can comment) whether the grade was usually given before the model number on the box? In other words would the model be "748 Vancott" or simply "Vancott"?
748 Vancott.JPG
748 Vancott.JPG (2.38 MiB) Viewed 380 times
748 Vancott 14K SYG outer box.jpg
748 Vancott 14K SYG outer box.jpg (112.46 KiB) Viewed 380 times
Roger

Nookster

#12 Post by Nookster » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:46 pm

A great find in the box, awesome score.

I told Dave to load them all in my photobucket as I pay the yearly fee. I won't know what to do if they go out of business.

You can load photos as attachments, and then they will always be here.
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

randy van

#13 Post by randy van » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Dave, the amount of work you put into the images is very much appreciated. And then your computer crashes .... too much. Just so you know we have all been there and understand the frustration.

Roger, I looked at a few of my boxed watches and it looks like, at least in the 1940's, that the grade was printed before the model name. Here's a picture. I have at least one later box that only has the name, not the grade. Others are at the bank, so I can't look right now.
boxlabels.jpg
boxlabels.jpg (77.41 KiB) Viewed 367 times

Dave

#14 Post by Dave » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:30 am

Thanks guys. The Vancott has been restored to the photo threads.

Nookster

#15 Post by Nookster » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:58 am

Two models then.

This one is 10K, SS back. Will used to had the catalog photo/print of this on his site, it was like the Rectangular, a throw into addition to the catalog. Does anyone have it?

mark@vintagehamilton.com

vintagehamiltons

#16 Post by vintagehamiltons » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:27 am

stales wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:04 pm
Dave wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:48 am
I didn't help that my hard drive completely and unexpectedly died the other day. I lost all the data including all the photos I had collected. I think I've developed a good system for recovering the images. I still need to make more time to actually do it.
Gee Dave - major frustration for you. Thanks again on behalf of the entire VWF community for all your efforts.

Attached is the watch in question - and the box which states it's a "748 Vancott". I don't know (and I hope others can comment) whether the grade was usually given before the model number on the box? In other words would the model be "748 Vancott" or simply "Vancott"?

748 Vancott.JPG

748 Vancott 14K SYG outer box.jpg
Roger, your watch is a Secometer C.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (82.89 KiB) Viewed 339 times
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

randy van

#17 Post by randy van » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:50 am

Mark, I don't have the catalog insert on the Vancott, but I do have the watch. Mine is 10K gold, with a stainless steel back. Here's mine

Roger's box label confirms there is a 14K version

Nookster

#18 Post by Nookster » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:24 pm

Open up the watch in the box and see if the serial numbers match up, for case and movement.
mark@vintagehamilton.com

vintagehamiltons

#19 Post by vintagehamiltons » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (18.93 KiB) Viewed 325 times
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

stales

#20 Post by stales » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Nookster wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:24 pm
Open up the watch in the box and see if the serial numbers match up, for case and movement.
I don't have the watch with me so can't provide pictures - but can confirm all numbers on box and watch do indeed match.

This was a Standard California presentation watch in 1953 so (again) maybe some strange stuff went on in the Hamilton Awards department....

Here's a transcript of the advert when I purchased it in 2012; I imagine it may cause a bit of discussion ;) :

"14K HAMILTON SECOMETER C- VANCOTT W/ ORIGINAL BOX AND PAPERS. A very interesting piece. Although both the original box and the presentation name on the box match the dedication on the caseback this is a HAMILTON SECOMETER C MODEL. Both the Watch No. and the Case No. match the box and the watch.

The Vancott was one of the rarest of Hamilton watches produced and the story goes that most of the 14K versions never got out to the general public and that is why they are rare. In fact the Vancott was only recently discovered as a vintage Hamilton model. Both the box and the caseback have the name: JAMES W. DONALDSON- so we know for sure this is not a marriage of one Hamilton box to a watch. I was told that because the 14K Vancott got such limited distribution that stamped boxes may have been used for other Hamilton models. Thus, this Secometer C was housed in an original Vancott box.

The watch itself is in pristine original condition and is all signed and all correct. The Hamilton grade 748 movement with 18J is in good running order. The watch is 29.5x39mm not counting the crown and has articulated lugs. The Vancott was made in both goldfilled over s/s and the VERY RARE 14K MODEL which is the stamping on the original outer box. VERY RARE COMBO FOR THE SERIOUS HAMILTON COLLECTOR."
Roger