Hamilton Electric Vantage grade 505.

Vintage Hamilton Watch Discussion Forum
441victor

Hamilton Electric Vantage grade 505.

#1 Post by 441victor » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:46 pm

The increase in popularity (and prices) of Elgins has moved some of my focus to Hamiltons and Walthams. As long as I stay away from the asymmetrics and stick to the common models, the 505 powered electrics offer some bargains like this Vantage I won recently.

A $69 bid got me an untested Vantage with a cracked crystal. The auction photos were clear and showed that there was almost no wear on the gold filled case and the brushed dial had survived very nicely with just a little spotting. Nothing I'm in a rush to fix.

The movement looked clean so the only mystery was whether it would run or not. When it arrived the first thing I did was open it up to see what the downside was going to be. Setting worked fine and the balance swung into action when the crown was pushed back in. I dug out a battery and strap and popped them in.

The balance took off with good motion but unfortunately would slow to a stop when turned face up. Any other position and it would run fine. I knew from reading Rene’s posts that most often this was the result of running for months, even years in one position. When the owner put the watch away without pulling out the crown to disconnect the power, it would sit in a drawer and tick away. This would end up wearing a track in the gold contact over time. After that the tiny amount of end shake in the mountings can allow the staff to move into a different position relative to the teeth on the contact wheel. Since it's not in its comfortable groove any more, the balance stops. Of course this made me curious. If the burr in the gold contact was small enough would it be possible to smooth it out enough to run. So over the weekend I let it run, first face down and then rotating it to new positions closer to face up. At the end of almost 48 hours, it was running strong in all positions again.

Once it arrived the crystal was a perfect fit and simple to install without the usual adjustments. Now the only thing left is to put the movement through the cleaning and oiling process and enjoy wearing my new Vantage.

Joel

Frobob

Re: Hamilton Electric Vantage grade 505.

#2 Post by Frobob » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:32 am

I got one of these to steal a movement from and almost feel bad about it. They look very good in person. I say almost because I stole the movement to save a Pacer.

pETE201

Re: Hamilton Electric Vantage grade 505.

#3 Post by pETE201 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Really nice to see your revived Vantage, and that it's running well. It's a model for which I have a soft spot, and I too have noticed how under valued they are at present-perhaps that's why I have ended up with 5 Vantage and Everest II s. By coincidence, I have just finished another Vantage, which I picked up as a bare case (maybe the movement went off to live in a more valuable watch?)
I am intrigued by the inscription. A quick search shows that Meadia Heights Golf Club is on the outskirts of Lancaster, so I wonder if the competition had any connection with the Hamilton factory-someone is bound to know ;)
Vantage (engraved) front.jpg
Vantage (engraved) front.jpg (132.86 KiB) Viewed 84 times
Vantage engraved back.jpg
Vantage engraved back.jpg (128.41 KiB) Viewed 84 times