Photobucket has gone full retard

Vintage Hamilton Watch Discussion Forum
Dave

Photobucket has gone full retard

#1 Post by Dave » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:20 pm

Photobucket has changed their terms of service so that free accounts can no longer support third party links. This means that many of the photos in the photo threads are broken for the time being. This seems to affect many members with lots of photos that have been hosted for a while, like me, Tom and Jim. We will either have to pay Photobucket for a premium subscription to share our photos here or we will have to upload them to this forum directly.

This is going to take some time that I don't have right now so please be patient.

I thought Photobucket was already going off the deep end with the volume of advertising. I could have up to eight ads on the page including four different video ads running simultaneously as well as three or four different pop up ads covering my whole page. Most websites seem satisfied with their ad revenue but not Photobucket it seems, so we will have to part ways asap.

N. Robinson

Re: Photobucket has gone full retard

#2 Post by N. Robinson » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:30 am

Given the value of the resource you have created, you really need to start considering these things. I recommend that you have complete control over your content. This will mean that you gain full usage rights for all photos and text and have it all hosted in one location. Please don't underestimate the importance of this. I would hate to see the resource die.

This reminds me of the forum discussion we had where I said I would like to create a fully searchable database of the info and photos.
.:. Nathan

vintagehamiltons

#3 Post by vintagehamiltons » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:33 am

I hope mine are OK since I pay an annual subscription for more space on their site.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

retroworx

#4 Post by retroworx » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:08 am

I am willing to contribute some bucks to get our resources secured — perhaps others are as well?

I'd also contribute to get our search function to work properly: all this knowledge stored here, but the bugs in the search system sometime make pieces of it inaccessible. :cry:
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

tnwareagle89

#5 Post by tnwareagle89 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 am

Tom - it looks like your pics are still showing up

Susan - count me in on contributing, can't be that much especially if several chip in

mrtoad

#6 Post by mrtoad » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:18 am

Because I own several domains for my own use, I have always done the hosting for pictures that Magpie and I post. That means they might go away if those domains go away, but I've just renewed the main one for another 5 years. I have always been doubtful about services like Photobucket because they have the potential for doing just as they have done in this case.

But I've always thought it strange that the forum did not host its own resources, depending instead on third parties. I realize that hosting on the forum itself would raise a lot of issues, notably in the area of security and account management. But using third-party hosting actually raises more concerns, particularly about the potential for injection of malicious code. I would urge seeking some solution that does not involve Photobucket.

Nookster

#7 Post by Nookster » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:56 am

You can attach photos in there, you don't need to use photobucket at all. I use it, hope I'm ok, as I pay them a yearly fee. We will see.
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

vintagehamiltons

#8 Post by vintagehamiltons » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:28 am

I've been using the attach function for new photos. Going forward, when I post a photo that I've already got in PB, I'll try to remember to download it to my computer and then just use attach.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

afire

#9 Post by afire » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:06 am

It's not just any old Photobucket paid subscription that gets you the privilege of hotlinking. Only the "Plus 500" plan at a price of $399 permits it. That's insane. Photobucket may have misjudged their customers. I think an attempted quick cash grab is more likely to become an accidental suicide. I have 7500 images on smugmug. It's much more user friendly than photobucket, has editing options, and costs $40 per year with unlimited storage. It's beyond me why anybody would pay Photobucket $400 for a limited plan when you can get a better unlimited service at 1/10 of the price and "good enough" hosting services for free. You can nickel and dime $10, $20 out of people trying to avoid the headache of finding a different service, but I seriously doubt many people are going to blindly fork over $400 without discovering there are wildly better options available.

But you have to give Photobucket credit for starting the latest internet craze. It seems like a lot of people all over the interwebz have changed their avatars to this image:

:lol:
Real men wear small watches.

stryfox

#10 Post by stryfox » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:01 pm

I'll be honest, I am much better a working on mechanical things as opposed to digital things. However I spend a good amount of time here. If there is something I can do to help just ask and I'll see what I can do.
My brother moderates a punk rock forum so I could always get his help.
My watches on instagram,
https://www.instagram.com/fth_classic_timepieces

Watches serviced and ready to go at,
http://fthclassictimepieces.com