Hamilton Model 22 Chronometer - WWII Navy Deck Watch

Vintage Hamilton Watch Discussion Forum
dbhak22

Hamilton Model 22 Chronometer - WWII Navy Deck Watch

#1 Post by dbhak22 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:09 am

Hello fellow watch enthusiasts. This is my first post here but I'm an active member on the Rolex Forums. I generally stick with Rolex in my collecting endeavors but came across a set of Hamilton Model 22s. I have FOUR of them! I know they're not SUPER rare but are very cool and interesting pieces. From the bit of research I've done (I'm sure all of you know more about them than I do), these were made for the US Navy during WWII and were used on boats as deck watches. They were mounted in wooden boxes (gimbal) but many of these boxes have not survived the decades that have gone by. The case is solid brass (which makes sense since these will be exposed to salty air from the seas) so have quite a heft to them; just under 2 lbs each. Anything else about these you can share with me would be great!

In any case, here are some pictures of these beauties. I had my local watchmaker give each of them an overhaul and they're running great. I currently have one on my desk while I work and hearing it tick away is quite soothing, :)

I plan to sell these guys so any guidance on the best way (eBay would be a last resort) from fellow members here would be appreciated.

vintagehamiltons

Re: Hamilton Model 22 Chronometer - WWII Navy Deck Watch

#2 Post by vintagehamiltons » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:30 am

Welcome. Great find and you should have no problem selling them. We have a "For Sale" thread here and as you noted, ebay is the other likely one. I believe member Handy Dan has one.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

jimglynn

#3 Post by jimglynn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am

Here are the current sold listings on eBay for this model. There are at least half a dozen that are not boxed. It looks like the average price for one that's sold on eBay is around $500-525 or so.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... 5573.m1684

I'd be interest in buying one.

vintagehamiltons

#4 Post by vintagehamiltons » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:27 am

I've always wanted one, but never pulled the trigger. I'd pay that.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

stales

#5 Post by stales » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:28 pm

I'm in as well. PM sent.
Roger

Oldlyme14

#6 Post by Oldlyme14 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:11 pm

Roger, that watch might be a bit too large to fit even on your wrist.

But I'm sure it won't stop you from trying......

:D

Mark S.

hamiltonelectric

#7 Post by hamiltonelectric » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:47 am

These really are wonderful, and very accurate. The Navy had stockpiled a lot of these many years after the war, tucked away in a warehouse in individual metal storage tubs, without their gimballed wooden boxes. These were liquidated as surplus in the late 80s or early 90s, along with a large number of Model 21 chronometers, also without boxes. The market was flooded for a while but they were soon absorbed into collections. A couple of people came out with truly amazing reproduction boxes for them -- so detailed they were hard to tell from a refinished original.

Other people came up with alternative ways to display these without original-style wood boxes. Some were plexiglass cubes with an internal plate to hold the unit, which could be rotated with a knob on the side to show the back. Here's the one I have, with a clever wood and brass stand to serve as a desk clock. This is a very early example with the rarer of 2 dial types made.

I replaced the back with the crystal from another 22 to make a display back. (I still have the original back, and the aluminum storage tub.) I also added the nameplate and instruction plate using new-old-stock pieces I found in Lancaster years ago.
Attachments
IMG_1532.JPG
IMG_1532.JPG (314.69 KiB) Viewed 278 times
IMG_1531.JPG
IMG_1531.JPG (325.76 KiB) Viewed 278 times

Oldlyme14

#8 Post by Oldlyme14 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:58 am

That's a beautiful piece Rene.

I believe RGM made a wristwatch based on the Model 22 Chronometer dial?

Mark S.

hamiltonelectric

#9 Post by hamiltonelectric » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Indeed they did. It has been quite a few years now. Very nice watch, I only wish they had put the lugs closer together. The watch is 38mm -- which seemed huge at the time but by modern standards is now considered small -- but the strap is 24mm. That is really huge.
Attachments
22le.jpg
22le.jpg (33.94 KiB) Viewed 261 times
22.jpg
22.jpg (41.08 KiB) Viewed 261 times

dbhak22

#10 Post by dbhak22 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:43 am

hamiltonelectric wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:47 am
These really are wonderful, and very accurate. The Navy had stockpiled a lot of these many years after the war, tucked away in a warehouse in individual metal storage tubs, without their gimballed wooden boxes. These were liquidated as surplus in the late 80s or early 90s, along with a large number of Model 21 chronometers, also without boxes. The market was flooded for a while but they were soon absorbed into collections. A couple of people came out with truly amazing reproduction boxes for them -- so detailed they were hard to tell from a refinished original.

Other people came up with alternative ways to display these without original-style wood boxes. Some were plexiglass cubes with an internal plate to hold the unit, which could be rotated with a knob on the side to show the back. Here's the one I have, with a clever wood and brass stand to serve as a desk clock. This is a very early example with the rarer of 2 dial types made.

I replaced the back with the crystal from another 22 to make a display back. (I still have the original back, and the aluminum storage tub.) I also added the nameplate and instruction plate using new-old-stock pieces I found in Lancaster years ago.
WOW! Thanks for sharing. Really cool information. And the custom mount is very nice...making me consider keeping one of these...