Jaeger-LeCoultre versus Hamilton - a reverso tale.

gatorcpa

Re: Jaeger-LeCoultre versus Hamilton - a reverso tale.

#41 Post by gatorcpa » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:40 am

Mark-

I was referring to the solid 14K Otis that was mentioned at the top that thread. I fixed the link so that it now goes right to the top. I always knew that the "silver" ones were 100% fake.

The case serial number is slightly different than yours and is not engraved. Since a Florida show was mentioned, I'm guessing that it's that "other" one.

In any case, I'm returning my Otis to the seller today by agreement. The movement issues are fixable, but the case issues can't be fixed without an investment far greater than the value of the watch.

Another one will come along one day.

Take care,
gatorcpa
Last edited by gatorcpa on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nookster

#42 Post by Nookster » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:05 am

No worries,

I have several Otis's, let me know what your looking for from just ok to perfect.

email me.
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

GLADIATOR

#43 Post by GLADIATOR » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:25 am

Guys
I received this back from Jaeger-LeCoultre today. Thought I should share it with you.

Dear Adam Harris,

Thank you for your request.
I don’t know if Hamilton was licenced to produce the Reverso. My own intuition is that it’s possible precisely because of the mention of the patent on the case. If Hamilton had copied the Reverso case system (please note by the way that the patent is from Chauvot and not Chauvet) without authorization, it probably wouldn’t have shout it from the rooftops (that is on the case).
I’ll try to search contract traces or law suits in our archives this next weeks, if time allows…

UNquote
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."
Visit Here:http://highercailber.com/
Adam R Harris

afire

#44 Post by afire » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:32 am

I thought the same thing. It would be an incredibly odd decision to attempt to infringe on JLC's patented design and then put the patent number on your knock-off. I'd give Hamilton a lot more credit than that. If they were putting the patent number on the case, it was probably because they had secured the rights to use it.
Real men wear small watches.

HamiltonIllinois

#45 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:43 am

Personally, I want the platinum Otis! (I think one was supposedly made, right?)
Rick
scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire

GLADIATOR

#46 Post by GLADIATOR » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:53 am

afire wrote:I thought the same thing. It would be an incredibly odd decision to attempt to infringe on JLC's patented design and then put the patent number on your knock-off. I'd give Hamilton a lot more credit than that. If they were putting the patent number on the case, it was probably because they had secured the rights to use it.
Yes that's correct.
You see until I got my own one, I never realized they put 'that' patent on the case, once realizing that, it made me curious to truly learn the facts
Regards
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."
Adam R Harris

GLADIATOR

#47 Post by GLADIATOR » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:00 am

more from Jaeger-Le Coultre
It really is a mystery, no law suit, no license:

Dear Adam,

I spend a whole day in our archives but I found nothing about Hamilton Otis between the late ’30 and the beginning of the ’40.
Neither a trace of a licence agreement, nor of lawsuits.
I hope you’ll have more success with Hamilton archives and I would be happy to hear soon from you about this subject.

With kind regards,

UNquote
Adam R Harris

gatorcpa

#48 Post by gatorcpa » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:15 am

GLADIATOR wrote:more from Jaeger-Le Coultre
It really is a mystery, no law suit, no license
I don't think it's that big of a mystery. JLC had no presence in the USA in the late 1930's. JLC may or may not have owned the US patent on the case originally applied for by Mr. Chavout.

Hamilton and Schwab & Wuischpard (the case maker) obviously cut a deal with someone to allow the cases to be produced here. My guess is that the answer was in the archives, not at Hamiton, but at S&W.

Someone will find the real answer someday. But for now we can put bed the whole idea of a lawsuit between JLC and Hamilton as an unfounded rumor.

Thanks for getting that information from JLC,
gatorcpa

GLADIATOR

#49 Post by GLADIATOR » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:25 am

gatorcpa wrote:
GLADIATOR wrote:more from Jaeger-Le Coultre
It really is a mystery, no law suit, no license
I don't think it's that big of a mystery. JLC had no presence in the USA in the late 1930's. JLC may or may not have owned the US

Thanks for getting that information from JLC,
gatorcpa
What ever is open to doubt the ownership
Of the patent is not. That is JLC.
BEST
Adam
Adam R Harris

afire

#50 Post by afire » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:01 am

gatorcpa wrote:Hamilton and Schwab & Wuischpard (the case maker) obviously cut a deal with someone to allow the cases to be produced here. My guess is that the answer was in the archives, not at Hamiton, but at S&W.
Peter Wuischpard is still doing case work. He may well have old records. His email is caserepair@cfl.rr.com.
Real men wear small watches.