Jaeger-LeCoultre versus Hamilton - a reverso tale.

gatorcpa

Re: Jaeger-LeCoultre versus Hamilton - a reverso tale.

#31 Post by gatorcpa » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:07 am

Is there anything about this in Zaf Basha's book? Should be a copy in the Museum.

I will check "Story of the Grand Maison" later after the Dolphins game. I don't remember seeing anything the last time I looked.

gatorcpa

GLADIATOR

#32 Post by GLADIATOR » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:13 am

gatorcpa wrote:Is there anything about this in Zaf Basha's book? Should be a copy in the Museum.

I will check "Story of the Grand Maison" later after the Dolphins game. I don't remember seeing anything the last time I looked.

gatorcpa
Looking now - its on my desk here - can not live without my books around me (wink)
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."
Visit Here:http://highercailber.com/
Adam R Harris

GLADIATOR

#33 Post by GLADIATOR » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:21 am

No, nothing more than I already knew on the contract and relationship between Chauvet (designer) LeCoultre (manufaturer) and A&E Wenger (case manufacturer) and De Trey.
He also mentiones exclusive movements only by Jaeger, Tavannes and Movado
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."
Adam R Harris

gatorcpa

#34 Post by gatorcpa » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:40 pm

I saw nothing in the other JLC book that I have. No mention of Tavannes or Movado either. It basically mentions the sale of the patent from Cesar deTrey (who acquired it from Chauvot) to the newly formed JLC in 1934. Also says that the Reverso was discontinued in the 1950's and revived in 1984.

That's about it.
gatorcpa

Magpie

#35 Post by Magpie » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:33 pm

mrtoad wrote: "it went for something like $1200."

Nookster wrote:"I would find that hard to believe?"

hamiltonelectric wrote: "Same here. [...} "Those are the only two 14 Otis I have ever heard of."

Well, you can believe it or not, but that's indeed what happened! I too was watching the auction. (I'm sorry we didn't archive it, but that was before we were really into wristwatches, much less archiving information about them.) Since it was more than five years ago, I have only a hazy memory of the precise details of the auction itself, but this is what I recall: The watch was not identified as an "Otis," just as a 14K Hamilton; the auction was of short duration, ending late at night, with a pretty hefty opening bid and not a lot of bidders; and the seller was someone who claimed to have inherited the watch from a family member. In retrospect, however, I wonder whether it was a stolen watch and for that reason was being sold quickly, for whatever it could bring.

At any rate, this "Otis" will probably always be for us "The Big One That Got Away." We wonder who got it.

GLADIATOR

#36 Post by GLADIATOR » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:56 pm

gatorcpa wrote:I saw nothing in the other JLC book that I have. No mention of Tavannes or Movado either. It basically mentions the sale of the patent from Cesar deTrey (who acquired it from Chauvot) to the newly formed JLC in 1934. Also says that the Reverso was discontinued in the 1950's and revived in 1984.

That's about it.
gatorcpa
Well not much in that book is accurate.
The reason Movado was part of the equation is that Cesar DeTrey invented the Movado Emerto for them, so he had a close relationship.
Tavannes actually supplied the movements until 1933 as JLC never had a movement.
And the REVERSO is the only watch that has been in continuous production (with innovations) since its inception in 1931. I have the book (from memory) 80 yrs of continuous production.

Lets stick with Zaff!!
Adam R Harris

gatorcpa

#37 Post by gatorcpa » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Magpie wrote:At any rate, this "Otis" will probably always be for us "The Big One That Got Away." We wonder who got it.
I think I found another one online while doing some research...

http://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/t ... 2841061902

Not sure if this the one that got away, but here it is. I know some of you don't like the IHC185. This link is for research purposes only.

BTW, does anyone know the various catalog numbers for the Otis crystal. May need to replace mine, if I keep the watch. There are some issues I'm trying to work out.

Thanks much,
gatorcpa

GLADIATOR

#38 Post by GLADIATOR » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:23 pm

gatorcpa wrote:
Magpie wrote:At any rate, this "Otis" will probably always be for us "The Big One That Got Away." We wonder who got it.

BTW, does anyone know the various catalog numbers for the Otis crystal. May need to replace mine, if I keep the watch. There are some issues I'm trying to work out.

Thanks much,
gatorcpa
You will find a seller of OTIS crystals on Ebay.
I see it a lot
Adam R Harris

GLADIATOR

#39 Post by GLADIATOR » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:30 pm

gatorcpa wrote:
I think I found another one online while doing some research...

http://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/t ... 2841061902

gatorcpa
Interesting link
What is he a PHD off?
I do not think Horology.

That said the watch is a LOVELY example.
Adam R Harris

Nookster

#40 Post by Nookster » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:36 pm

I wonder if you guys are talking about the Sterling Silver ones? Not solid gold. They were all fakes, they all had the same serial number. There was a time when sterling silver Otis's were selling on Ebay. Once we put the word out that all the serial numbers were the same, everyone caught on and I think Ebay banned those sellers. If there really was one that hit Ebay in solid gold, wow. There were some scammers back in the day that would take pictures of my watches, Bryan's watches and list them for sale and get high prices and it was all bogus.

If there was a legit 14K Otis on Ebay, that means everyone in here that collects missed it? Could have? The only really good one I missed was a solid gold Wilshire that Rusty picked up years ago.

I will ask Will if he remembers this too.

Maybe it will surface one day?
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast