December 2016 Incoming

Show off your vintage watch to others!!
441victor

December 2016 Incoming

#1 Post by 441victor » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:29 pm

Tapped into ebay for a couple of BIN bargains. A 19j grade 752 model 4256.

I have the Black Dial variant to go with it. And a nickel cased Clubman running a grade 488.

Going by the serial number of the movement it's from 1932. It matches the yellow 14kgf model 1026 but probably has a different number.

Joel

tnwareagle89

Re: December 2016 Incoming

#2 Post by tnwareagle89 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:08 am

Rossini Chronograph just arrived

Related to Sears / Jacky Ickx / Easy Rider / Hobie Cat / LANCO
17 Jewel Ebauches Bettlach EB 8420 Pin-Lever Chronograph Movement

Supposedly Rossini acquired the unsold stock of Leonidas and Lanco and produced these watches

The dial faintly reads "LANCO" behind the Rossini and the case is still stamped Leonidas inside

I bought one of the red dialed Easy Rider / Jacky Ickx chronos - liked this variation

The reliability was not so good but so far runs like a champ
Attachments
WRUW_121316_3.JPG
WRUW_121316_3.JPG (179.09 KiB) Viewed 611 times

retroworx

#3 Post by retroworx » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:35 am

Joel: I've always admired that deco (moderne?) Elgin.

Todd: I've never seen that Rossini before: Nice!

For me this month, this Elgin diver from the post-American era:
elgin diver frontRW.7.jpg
elgin diver frontRW.7.jpg (138.53 KiB) Viewed 590 times
And another Elgin, the "Elvis Jump" in terrific condition. Not strictly new, but since it has been out for service for almost a year, it sure feels it! ;)
Elgin Direct Elvis.7.jpg
Elgin Direct Elvis.7.jpg (145.79 KiB) Viewed 590 times
A note on these for those unfamiliar: The hour is supposed to SNAP! into the center of the window when the hour shifts, NOT DRIFT over time. So all the ones you see on eBay claiming to be working well, but with the hour un-centered in the window? Not so much. . . .
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

tnwareagle89

#4 Post by tnwareagle89 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:22 am

The Lord Elgin jump hour is outstanding - case lines are really crisp

The Elgin dive watch is more my speed - also excellent!

Dave

#5 Post by Dave » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:04 pm

I took my wife to our local jeweler so she could pick out her own Christmas present. That way she won't be disappointed. There's a story behind that, LOL. She looked at all the rings, necklaces and earrings and walked on past them. She chose for herself a 46mm Hamilton Khaki Pilot Automatic. She wanted something different and this sure stands out on her thin, bird-like wrists. As soon as we got home, I ordered a custom, super short 22mm strap from Martu Straps. It should be here in a week or so. On to the photos.

On my wrist.

Movintage

#6 Post by Movintage » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:46 am

retroworx wrote: And another Elgin, the "Elvis Jump" in terrific condition. Not strictly new, but since it has been out for service for almost a year, it sure feels it! ;)
WOW, just WOW!!! Your Elgin (Elvis) jump hour is beautiful. It even still retains some of the enamel on the Elgin emblem. CONGRATS! :mrgreen:

retroworx

#7 Post by retroworx » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:35 am

Movintage wrote:WOW, just WOW!!! Your Elgin (Elvis) jump hour is beautiful. It even still retains some of the enamel on the Elgin emblem. CONGRATS! :mrgreen:
Thanks! The one thing I really harped on during the service was that the case NOT be polished — I didn't want to lose the enamel or the sharp case definition. :)
Dave wrote:She chose for herself a 46mm Hamilton Khaki Pilot Automatic.
Dave, that's interesting and it seems that women are starting to adopt the larger sizes. I have wondered if the Michele Deco line, which I think may be one of the first to feature large watches (sometimes chronos) for women, and can be found across the country at many fine jewelers, is perhaps contributing to the shift. "Hey, it may be man-size, but it is gaudy and with lots of diamonds, so I'm in!" :lol:
michele.jpg
michele.jpg (110.43 KiB) Viewed 562 times
*Apologies to any of you who bought this watch for your wives. :lol:

Squash61

#8 Post by Squash61 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:57 am

I just got this one in. It's my second Glycine Airman. I sold my first one and was lured back to these great watches.
The one below came from the estate of a career military dental surgeon. The watch serial number dates it to 1964. The original purchase by the doctor was March 23, 1965 (my 4th birthday oddly enough)

It was purchased at a huge discount from the Army and Airforce Exchange Services. These watches retailed for about $120 back then.

It's a 24 hour dial.

The watch comes with the original West German made Fixo-Flex bracelet.

The movement is a 25J Automatic based on the AS 1700.

A couple things unique to the Airman is the rotating locking bezel which is used for dual time zone time keeping. (Notice the extension off the back of the Hour hand, which points to the 2nd time zone.)
The second unique feature is the hacking feature. When the crown is pulled out to the setting position, a tiny wire pops out of a hole at the 12 O'clock position which stops the second hand at the 12 o'clock position.

The only info I could find out about the doctor so far is that he died July 9th, 2015 at age 85.

He took great care of the watch which appears to be worn very little.

I'm excited to be the second owner of this beautiful timepiece and plan on taking very good care of it.

Captain Crandall

#9 Post by Captain Crandall » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:39 am

I just got this one back from my good friend Steve (thanks a mil) and I'm liking it ! I'm back up to two Accutron 214's now !

For Accutron 214 Info, Facts, video and much more visit my good friends at
http://accutronfacts.freeforums.net/
A Troll Free Zone !

retroworx

#10 Post by retroworx » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:27 am

Terrific Glycine set, Wayne!