WRUW? Which of the three types of watch wearer are you?

Show off your vintage watch to others!!
stales

WRUW? Which of the three types of watch wearer are you?

#1 Post by stales » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:11 pm

Apologies for perpetuating the male-only watch wearer stereotype but I thought the following was worth sharing....

Adapted from and with acknowledgements to Daniel Senia, Time & Tide Watches: https://timeandtidewatches.com/opinion- ... arers-one/

Perhaps naively, I’ve recently been enlightened that not everyone has the same obsession with watch wearing as I do. Until posing the question around the office, I took it as a given that setting the accurate day/date and time was just something every watch wearer did first thing in the morning. Oh, how wrong I could be! A morning ritual that I once thought was normal has, after further investigation, seems to be borderline OCD. Delving further into the weird and wonderful ways other watch wearers choose to wear their timepieces, it seems there are in fact three archetypal personas. We’ve decided to name them: the Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale, American Psycho), the Teddy Flood (James Marsden, Westworld) and the Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul).

The Patrick Bateman wakes every morning to the same routine, opening his side table drawer and starting the day by picking out his timepiece of choice. The ritual begins by setting the day and time, changing the strap (if required) and winding the watch (if need be) and ensuring the watch is accurate to the millisecond. After all, why else would you own such a precise thing as a Swiss watch? Once this has been achieved, he walks to his wardrobe and proceeds to match an outfit to his pre-selected timepiece.
  • Time: Correct to within a second.
  • Date: Are you kidding? Never wrong.
The Teddy Flood has a slightly different approach to watch wearing than the methodical (shall we say Swiss) way to wear a watch. In Teddy’s world, time is a relative thing and may in fact be occurring on multiple planes, rendering days and dates effectively meaningless. The Teddy is happy to take a watch out of the drawer, give it a shake for good measure, and throw it on his wrist. He has more important things to do to necessarily worry about his date window’s accuracy. In the end, Teddy’s brain is the actual atomic clock to which his heart beats (or doesn’t) anyway.
  • Time: Generally right, sometimes give or take a minute to ensure a few minutes late to a meeting is actually on time.
  • Date: Meh. Fifty-fifty. Usually wrong.
The Saul Goodman is a bit of a loose cannon and generally a mess when it comes to personal organisation. A shady character, he wears that retro ’70s LED gold-plated whatever it is, but the battery stopped working years ago. The Omega (that may or may not be authentic) sitting in his drawer with the scratched crystal that’s running at +/- 15 mins a day? It’ll do the job. Especially when you’re billing by the hour.
  • Time: On a good day, it will be five minutes fast. On a bad day — in fact, most days — it’s telling the time it ran out of power, plus the time since it was put on.
  • Date: There’s a one-in-31 chance it’s right.
So I'm Teddy Flood - and I suspect I am surrounded by a whole bunch of Patrick Batemans. Am I correct?
Roger

vintagehamiltons

Re: WRUW? Which of the three types of watch wearer are you?

#2 Post by vintagehamiltons » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:53 pm

Teddy Flood.

When I wore a different watch every day to work, I never set the date on any of them, but always had the time set.

But, after I received my Intra-Matic 68 LE, I set it to the correct date and started wearing it daily. Being an automatic it's always on the correct date.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

JerseyMo

#3 Post by JerseyMo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:07 am

Teddy Flood - typically the watch I wear each day is the last one I worked on. Wind it up, check that it is still running and go from there. Tomorrow is another day and most likely another watch.
If I do wear the same watch for more than one day, I only check if the date wheel has advanced.

"Twilight Zone" by Golden Earring would be my suggested song for Teddy Flood and his followers!
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

afire

#4 Post by afire » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:27 am

I can't be any of them. I've never owned a watch with a date function.
Real men wear small watches.