Are Stauer watches as good as they claim?

Post comments of photos of new or modern day watches.
longhorn

Are Stauer watches as good as they claim?

#1 Post by longhorn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:08 am

You may have seen the beautiful Stauer watch ads in leading magazines. They claim their watches are made with the best quality. They certainly do look nice in the ads. But I'm wondering if any of you has experience with these watches? If so, are they as well made as the claim? The prices seem pretty reasonable. I believe they have Chinese movements.

JerseyMo

Re: Are Stauer watches as good as they claim?

#2 Post by JerseyMo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:30 pm

longhorn wrote:You may have seen the beautiful Stauer watch ads in leading magazines. They claim their watches are made with the best quality. They certainly do look nice in the ads. But I'm wondering if any of you has experience with these watches? If so, are they as well made as the claim? The prices seem pretty reasonable. I believe they have Chinese movements.
I have fixed two for coworkers - one had water enter via the stem, the other had the stem just pull out...one I did not fix has a snapped stem.

I give them style points but inside they are like dozens of other that are out there....
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

longhorn

#3 Post by longhorn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:12 pm

JerseyMo, interesting to hear that. I was considering buying one of these but may rethink that now. Yeah, they look very nice but if they don't hold up to regular wear, then they're not worth it.

stryfox

#4 Post by stryfox » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:20 pm

I have one. I haven't had any problems with it but it is indeed Chinese.

GLADIATOR

#5 Post by GLADIATOR » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:08 pm

We have one on permanent display at the museum, n other reason is that it is a modern Hueres Sautantes.

Chinese movement, so I suspect at the lowest end of quality
a
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."
Visit Here:http://highercailber.com/
Adam R Harris

JerseyMo

#6 Post by JerseyMo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:26 pm

perhaps best to state you would buy one for its style and look more than what is under the hood.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

longhorn

#7 Post by longhorn » Fri May 01, 2015 4:36 am

Well, I've been looking at more online and see that at least as many have Japanese movements. So at least for those, the insides should be as good a quality as the outsides appear to be. As you probably know, Japan makes quality products. Look at their cars, electronics and other watches such as Seiko. So Stauer is probably pretty good value for the money if you give the watch reasonable care.

longhorn

#8 Post by longhorn » Fri May 01, 2015 5:21 am

Stryfox, I tried to reply to your PM but I'm not sure it worked. My reply is sitting in the "outbox" and won't go to the "sent" folder so I just wanted to let you know. Thanks, Michael

stryfox

#9 Post by stryfox » Fri May 01, 2015 5:48 am

longhorn wrote:Stryfox, I tried to reply to your PM but I'm not sure it worked. My reply is sitting in the "outbox" and won't go to the "sent" folder so I just wanted to let you know. Thanks, Michael
Got it.
They don't send until the person it is sent to comes back on the forum. At least that's how I think it works.
As stated above. These are more about style than the quality of the movement. They do have some interesting looking ones.