Pilots watch

Post comments of photos of new or modern day watches.
NWI Mark

Pilots watch

#1 Post by NWI Mark » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:47 am

Today I wore the Laco Aachen pilot for work. I got it a couple of years ago, it has display back, 23j. Keeps spot on time. The head is 43mm I think. No, it's not the 55.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (703 KiB) Viewed 1805 times

NWI Mark

Re: Pilots watch

#2 Post by NWI Mark » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:45 am

Oops, it's 42 mm and 21 jewels. With the sapphire crystal. The 55mm would be too big, and that's what the real ones were I think, but I can get away with 42 ok I think. It's still big for my medium sized wrist. I'm just used to vintage, smaller.

I'm still working on getting the app for re-sizing down my pics. Please bear with me. I should have it soon. Im not that good with computer stuff, sorry. MARK

Dave

#3 Post by Dave » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:28 am

NWI Mark wrote:The 55mm would be too big, and that's what the real ones were I think, but I can get away with 42 ok I think. It's still big for my medium sized wrist. I'm just used to vintage, smaller.
The original pilot's watches were very large because they were intended to be worn on the outside of the pilot's leather jacket sleeve. It was cold in those old planes and pilots needed quick access to accurate time so they wore their watches on the outside of their jackets instead of on their wrist. I don't see why anybody would want to wear a 55mm watch on their wrist then or now.

brianmcclure191

#4 Post by brianmcclure191 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:15 pm

Dave wrote:
NWI Mark wrote:The 55mm would be too big, and that's what the real ones were I think, but I can get away with 42 ok I think. It's still big for my medium sized wrist. I'm just used to vintage, smaller.
The original pilot's watches were very large because they were intended to be worn on the outside of the pilot's leather jacket sleeve. It was cold in those old planes and pilots needed quick access to accurate time so they wore their watches on the outside of their jackets instead of on their wrist. I don't see why anybody would want to wear a 55mm watch on their wrist then or now.
until now do I know this fact about real aviation watches :shock: interesting