Orient Star Classic

Post comments of photos of new or modern day watches.
adam78

Orient Star Classic

#1 Post by adam78 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:29 pm

Just ordered one of these for what I think is a very reasonable price ($345, which is 1/2 of list) for an in-house hacking automatic movement with power reserve. Orient is co-owned by Seiko, and I think the movements are on par with theirs.

It is 38mm with a domed mineral glass crystal and exhibition case back. From the photos and reviews I've seen I'm pretty impressed. I love the blued steel hands.

Basically, I've been looking for a non-nonsense travel watch which I can feel comfortable with and not worry about. The only other new watch I own at this point is a Nomos Club, but that doesn't have a date feature. I would love to just take my Rolex 1680 Sub or 16750 GMT-Master, but I have heard horror stories about Rolex-es being stolen off the wrist in parts of Europe, and don't want to put my babies at risk...

I will post more photos and impressions when the Orient arrives, next week!

vintagehamiltons

Re: Orient Star Classic

#2 Post by vintagehamiltons » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:46 pm

Nice. Read some good things about Orient back on WTF. Thought about getting one awhile back.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

indyago

#3 Post by indyago » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:47 pm

Cool power reserve complication, looks like an old analog gas gauge..........
Rob

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

adam78

#4 Post by adam78 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:36 pm

Here are some more photos -- it arrived today, but I will need to take it to the watchmaker to remove some bracelet links. First impressions: I like it...solid, nice finish and build quality, great domed mineral glass crystal (not terribly reflective), nice wrist presence without being outlandish on my 6.75" wrist (it's 38mm across ex-crown), retro-inspired design. Interesting feature for this movement is that it whirs similarly to a Rolex bubbleback when rocked back and forth. I'm not sure if that was intentional on Orient's part!

By the way, it rather resembles the JLC Master Control, no? Same size, too. 1/10 the price. Okay, maybe the movement is not quite as fine...

adam78

#5 Post by adam78 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:33 pm

Here it is on the bracelet, my pics:

Fit and finish are excellent (especially for the modest cost). The movement appears to be of high quality, with admirable precision between positions. After a simple regulation, it is keeping to within a second/day.

Allanroger

#6 Post by Allanroger » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:43 am

adam78 wrote:Just ordered one of these for what I think is a very reasonable price ($345, which is 1/2 of list) for an in-house hacking automatic movement with power reserve. Orient is co-owned by Seiko, and I think the movements are on par with theirs.

It is 38mm with a domed mineral glass crystal and exhibition case back. From the photos and reviews I've seen I'm pretty impressed. I love the blued steel hands.

Basically, I've been looking for a non-nonsense travel watch which I can feel comfortable with and not worry about. The only other new watch I own at this point is a Nomos Club, but that doesn't have a date feature. I would love to just take my Rolex 1680 Sub or 16750 GMT-Master, but I have heard horror stories about Rolex-es being stolen off the wrist in parts of Europe, and don't want to put my babies at risk...

I will post more photos and impressions when the Orient arrives, next week!

brianmcclure191

#7 Post by brianmcclure191 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:12 pm

very nice watch, I'm a fan of Orient, their craftmanship is so admirable, the domed glass is awesome, just like the Bambino. But this watch is sized at 38mm, maybe it's a little small? :mrgreen: