Watches going out of style

Post comments of photos of new or modern day watches.
ivan1998

Watches going out of style

#1 Post by ivan1998 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:03 pm

I was at my local Bar and couple of people ask me what was the time. And I find this on another forum.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11634105

GLADIATOR

Re: Watches going out of style

#2 Post by GLADIATOR » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:06 pm

ABSOLUTELY - NO Way
The watch industry had its BEST year ever, over $1b .
The mechanical watch is not just here it is GROWING!!

Everyone in Swiss watch industry is so happy.
I can post exact numbers if you need it.

BE HAPPY!
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."
Visit Here:http://highercailber.com/
Adam R Harris

ivan1998

#3 Post by ivan1998 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:18 pm

GLADIATOR wrote:ABSOLUTELY - NO Way
The watch industry had its BEST year ever, over $1b .
The mechanical watch is not just here it is GROWING!!

Everyone in Swiss watch industry is so happy.
I can post exact numbers if you need it.

BE HAPPY!
This is true but I had to count how many were wearing watches 8 out of 30. I would like to see the numbers. Wondering what China with there new found wealth (USA) what there buying?

salleh

#4 Post by salleh » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:53 am

While my roommate calls my watches "buggy whips" .....my small vintage watch business is doing better every season ....and I sell the majority of my watches to people under 35 I'd say ......and I say that because sometimes it's hard to tell how old someone is ....

they tend to buy the oldest ones I have, and spend on average about $100 to $125 ....some more some less, that amount is based on the sum total of watches divided by the number of people buying .....so I guess that would make it an average price, not a median price ...

.....but I'd also say that this younger buyer remembers older generations wearing watches, and when they see mine, it's often a spur of the moment purchase .....

about 1/3 of them are looking for a vintage watch to wear .....

and I am finding for the past couple of years that there are quite a few women buying both the smaller vintage womens watches and larger mens watches for them to wear themselves ....

then on etsy, my online store, it is about 1/2 women buying watches for their men, and 1/2 men buying watches for themselves .....and I get significantly more money for the watches on etsy ....but not enough sales to skip doing the shows ...besides I like the interaction with the customer in person ......and I must say that I buy on ebay, but wouldn't ever sell a good watch there again, except in emergenccies ...( need fast cash) .....

...The etsy customer is far nicer, and most of the time I am in communication several times, it is a much more personal type of online interaction and sale ....especially when a lady is buying a watch for her fella.....I have even helped a customer find a watch for her guy using ebay, cause I didn't have a watch made in 1967, the year he was born ....and one customer bought a watch for her guy, liked it so much and within about 6 weeks, she had bought 2 watches for herself, and another one for her guy, spending quite a bit of money just starting at that one watch ....

....All the watches that I get more than a couple of hundred for have been sold on etsy .....and I get great feedback from the buyers ....

so from personal experience ....the vintage watch business is doing OK .....

It is riskier by far than selling new quartz watches as far as the watch is concerned, we are all, all too aware of the foibles and quirks of vintage watches .....and since I can't afford to do complete services on each watch, I have to hope I got lucky and chose a mechanically sound watch ! .....

but I woulnd't have it any other way .....quartz watches, unless you hit the very high end ....have no souls .....

one last thing ....my friend Pam was over yesterday as 3 "new" watches arrived .....and she has very accute hearing, and can hear every watch tick......even with music on .....and it's so funny, she puts the watch up next to her ear, and gets this blissed out expression on her face .....she loves the sound of a vintage ticking watch .....

the smooth tick of a mechanical watch is so much nicer than a quartz with it's lurching from one second to the next ,,.......
What a long strange trip it's been......

ulackfocus

#5 Post by ulackfocus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:17 pm

Beat it spammer. Image

I have to agree that mechanical watches are getting more popular each year for as long as I've been on the forums. Not many 20-somethings are into vintage but they do go for brightly colored G-shocks and similar accessory type watches which is good because they probably will morph into afficionados or at least somebody who'll appreciate a good mechanical.

Edit by VH: Got him for ya, Dennis. ;)

GeneJockey

#6 Post by GeneJockey » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:30 pm

I have noticed a proliferation of the 'How do I know when it's wound enough?' posts on various forums, which tells me these are folks younger than my generation (late Boomer) who were probably the last generation to have grown up with mechanical watches.
http://gjselgins.blogspot.com/

Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent. - Pogo

salleh

#7 Post by salleh » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:39 pm

I had to laugh ....there's another lady who specializes in vintage watches on etsy , and at the bottom of each of her listings.....she say

This is a wind up mechanical watch, you must wind it every day for it to work

It will arrive not working, you must wind it to start it .....

salleh

#8 Post by salleh » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:41 pm

BUt.....I say again ....I sell 85% of my watches to people under 35 .....and the quartz pocketwatches ....( the only quartz watches I ever have) to mostly boys, but the occasional girl....and of ages about 13 to 20 .....

GeneJockey

#9 Post by GeneJockey » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:11 am

salleh wrote:BUt.....I say again ....I sell 85% of my watches to people under 35 .....and the quartz pocketwatches ....( the only quartz watches I ever have) to mostly boys, but the occasional girl....and of ages about 13 to 20 .....
That explains why pants are increasingly coming with watch pockets, which is handy for guys like me who sometimes like to carry one (generally when I am wearing a newly-seerviced watch for the first time, I like to carry a backup)
http://gjselgins.blogspot.com/

Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent. - Pogo

salleh

#10 Post by salleh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:43 pm

wait wait ....pants come with pocket watches nowdays ???? :?